• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for Arizona vet famliar with SM

twinklfsh

Hi everyone. I am new here. We just got our second cavalier - Ronnie. He was abandoned by his owner and after a week of watching him and a visit to the vet, we are pretty sure he was abandoned because of SM. What a shame. He is such a beautiful, loving boy. We live part of the year in Michigan and part of the year in Arizona, can anyone recommend a vet that is familiar with treatment and surgical procedures in either of those areas? I really think we want to pursue sugery as soon as possible. Evrything I read seems to indicate that this is the best way for a good recovery? Ronnie is waking and yelping at night, scratching the air probably 20 times or more a day and cannot tolerate a leash or a sweater or being petted on the head. He also walks with his head crooked to one side when he is in pain. Any suggestions or help or thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated. - Michelle

You might also want to consider Dr. Peter Gordon, veterinary neurologist in Tucson. He has a lot of experience with SM--he did his residency at the University of Missouri where he did quite a few surgeries on SM dogs. Missouri has a human Chiari clinic and Dr. Gordon was able to observe/collaborate with the doctors in that clinic as well. I've heard very good reports about him.

Good luck!

Best, Roberta

Thank you Roberta, this is exactly the kind of recommendation that I was looking for. I'll give him a call. -Michelle

Roberta said:
You might also want to consider Dr. Peter Gordon, veterinary neurologist in Tucson. He has a lot of experience with SM--he did his residency at the University of Missouri where he did quite a few surgeries on SM dogs. Missouri has a human Chiari clinic and Dr. Gordon was able to observe/collaborate with the doctors in that clinic as well. I've heard very good reports about him.

Good luck!

Best, Roberta

That's great!! I hope you can connect with this guy, Michelle.

-Kendall

Dr Jarboe is also supposed to be good. I am not sure whether she is based in Phoenix or Las Vegas -- or goes between both.

Back