• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dad had heart surgery today - UPDATE 2/28/07

PamH

My dad had a triple bypass and a main valve replacement today. He lives in England and I am far away. My mum does not think I should go right now as he is in the hospital for 7 days and she said it wouldn't be worthwhile. My parents were supposed to come to Florida for 3 weeks in March, but obviously cannot now.
I so wish they could. I know Maddy would help him recover.
It's very hard when you are not near by. My sister is 1/4 mile away from them and does so much.
I am planning on sending lots of cards and calling a lot. He is in the beginning stages of Alzheimers also, so he does not always remember that I called.
My daughter who is 25 called him on Friday and said good luck on Monday. He said "what's happening on Monday?".
You have to see the humor, but it's sad too.
Pam

My dad has sextuple bypass almost 3 years ago-- he had 95% occlusion on three major arteries. He was home four days after surgery. The doctor was amazing. I notice my dad has a lot more energy and his "color" is a lot healthier. Fingers crossed that all goes well with your dad.

Oh Pam, my thoughts and prayers are with you both. He may not remember that you called, but he knows in his heart that you love him dearly. ***HUGS***

Hey Sweetheart ~

*HUGZ* to you sorry to hear you're going through this. I know it's not the "same thing" but my grandfather got REALLY sick and we almost lost him as we found out he had a 90% blockage in his aorta (the main blood freeway into the heart.) Anyways we ended up having to have his aorta replaced by a pig's valve!! He came out of the hospital 48 hours later and he's in GREAT shape today!! My grandma called me raving about 6 weeks after surgery saying my grandpa "acts like he's 20 again .. if you know what I mean" :yuk: :lol: Your daddy is going to come through everything GREAT!! If you ever need to speak with anybody or you get down, I've been there before (I had to spoon feed my grandpa for 7 days before the surgery as he was too weak to go in to have it. :( ) I've been there before - I'll try to help you in any way I can. :flwr:

Oh Pam, I can relate...but it has to be sooo hard being far away from Dad.
Alzheimers SUCKS! It is an awful, awful disease!
Heart surgery is so amazing today...I'm sending my best wishes your way.

Prayers to you and yours!
Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

I know what you are going though my O/H had to have an heart op about 6 years ago and he got better very quickly sending lots of hugs ----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie--Barney--Sam)
PS just a thought we went on holiday just afterwards so maybe they might come

Hi Pam,

I'm sorry you're so far from your dad right now. I agree with Chris, he may not remember every call but he knows you love him. My father who has a great many health problems has had numerous heart procedures, and once they were complete he felt like a million bucks. I can understand your comment about the humor in your father saying "what's happening monday". One of my aunt's had alzheimers. She passed away last year of a blood disorder at 85. She'd had alzheimers for 7 years and was still able to live on her own, with family checking in on her daily. Each and every day they are getting closer to a cure, and better and better medications to slow the progression. I hope they find it fast! I wish your dad could spend time with Maddy too, maybe by the late spring he'll be up to it. There is nothing like cavalier love and affection to put you right. You and your father are in my prayers.

Love,
Tucker and Joanne

Sending you big :hug:s and lots of prayers for your Dad.
Keep us posted on his recovery and as for the holiday; never say never!

:flwr: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Big hug to you and lots of well wishes

If it helps my father works and lives in Taiwan and he had 2 heart attacks 3 years ago and a a stroke and part of his lung removed from cancer and he is still fine and well and even flew to the states last August for my wedding and stayed for 3 weeks. He had a minor stroke this year but is fine again So dont worry (I had my share) The Drs are much more experienced these days and bypasses are rather common now

Smiles and PM if you need to talk

Please know I'm thinking of you today, I know how scary it is to have a loved one sick. I know everything will go well for your Dad. Heart surgery is amazing now. Your Dad knows how much you love him.
:hug:

My sister in law is from England but has lived in Canada for yrs. She went through similar experiences with both her parents. You have to make the choice that fits you. Do what you are comfortable with. Hope all goes well. Having lost one parent to cancer, you are right, humour does help and in some way makes you feel closer. Keep your spirits up and bright.

Pam, that is so difficult. Please know we are all thinking about you and dad. :flwr: :hug:
Let us know how he is.
:flwr:

Back