• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dad had heart surgery today - UPDATE 2/28/07

I've been away - any update? Hopefully they have everything under control now and he is mending as he should.

Denise, I'm sorry to hear about your father. My husband's sister was diagnosed with Alzheimers several months ago and she is only in her mid-60's. (Funny how young 60 sounds as I get closer to it!) She's has confusing days and anger days and untrusting days - but she always trusts my husband. Could be because she doesn't see him as much. But she has reached a sort of "acceptance" stage right now where she knows that she's not right and knows that it will get worse. So sad.

My prayers are with you and your fathers - both Pam and Denise.

Good news! My dad is back in a regular room. My sister said he still is talking nonsense a little, but much better.
Thanks for all of your good wishes.
Hopefully he will be home soon.
Pam

I have been following the thread. That is good news that he is back in his regular room. We will keep the paws crossed for a quick recovery. :flwr:

Hi Pam, Just saw this thread for the first time. (I am new to the group) So Glad your dad is doing better!!!! What GREAT news. I'm sending good wishes for his speedy recovery.

Lynn

An update. Dad seems to be doing well, but is still very confused.
He said that they took away his bed. He was sitting in the chair with his bag next to him when my mum and sis arrived to visit. He said "take me out of this prison, they took my bed away". My mum and sis told him they had a new bed for him. He settled in and said "oh, what a nice bed I like this one" and settled right in.
The docs have said they will not let him go home. They want him to do his therapy as an inpatient for a while. They said the anaesthetic really confused him and they want to keep an eye on him.
He told the nurses my mum had to come 300 miles to see him. She lives 15 miles away.
So, good news and not so good. They did say they might be able to transfer him to a hospital 3 miles from home. As soon as a bed becomes available.
It's actually better in some ways for my mum because she would have her hands full with him.
Pam

Sorry to hear he is having some confusion. I hope he will continue to improve very quickly. :flwr: I think the older they are, the harder it cn be to bounce back from the anesthesia; it can be really confusing and if he is on painkillers etc they can really add to that. He must be doing pretty well physically though to have been out of bed and on a chair. :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that my dad is beginning to get some strength back. He sat out in the sun for a little while at my sister's house. He walked to her house from his home (about 1/4 mile).
My mother was with him and it was slow going, but he enjoyed it.
Thanks a lot for all of your kind thoughts and support.
Pam

Pam, wonderful news that your father is improving. How are your mother and sister doing? I hope the sun felt warm and healing on your father's face. My Gran always thought to recover from any illness one had to get out in the fresh air and get some sun.

Good luck with your father.....we went through some hard times when my father had lung surgery.

Oh Pam, so sorry to hear about your Dad, dont worry though, these days that operation is like getting a tooth pulled, he will be fine in a few days :D

Back