• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

House Training

coconut

Hi guys just a quick question we are house training freddie and he is doing so well the lil angel but our only problem is he is not telling us when he needs to go out, we are bringing him out at regular intervals and seem to be on time everytime!!

How long will it be before he lets us know? OR Is there anyway of showing him that we need him to bark at the back door?

this is still your job when he is this young just keep doing what your doing and he will soon twig on .....not much to add really it will come :)

how you feel,but they do get it in the end.
I kept putting Lola out every 10 mins saying come on "wee wee" didnty seem to be working for ages but if i say "wee wee" now she runs to the back door and looks up at the handle :roll:

Bless em they do get it eventually but it takes time.

Yep, I'm with Sharon .... use a word and he'll catch on right away.

Our cavvies usually just walked around near the door but if I thought it had been awhile, I'd just ask if they wanted to go to the "tinkle" or "garden" and they'd jump up right away.

Good luck with Freddie.....won't take long at all! :) :flwr:

It seems like it just clicks all of a sudden. I was asking this same question a month ago. Lily is now 5 months old. I didn't think she would ever give me any indication she had to go, and like you, we were just bringing her out when we thought it was time. One day about 3 weeks ago she started going to the door and sitting there and staring at me. This was my sign b*n*n* She now does this all the time. She has not had an accident in 3 weeks. Well, just one. My fault. I was cooking and didn't see her go to the door. Only problem is I still have to have her in my sights at all times or I will miss her going to the door. I don't know if she will ever bark or anything. A lot of people have said theirs never bark. Hey...I'll take what I can get. Just so happy she is giving me any sign. :)

We taught ours to ring bells hanging from the back door to go out. We can hear those bells from the farthest part of the house!

Lucky uses Poochie Bells too

http://www.poochie-pets.net/

He's really just started ringing them, but he Definitely knows what they are for and is great at going to ring them when he needs out. (helping udders has them too, but just in black - I bought mine through them because they donate to Lucky Star Cavalier Rescue or rescue of your choice with each purchase).

You can also buy sleigh bells or even the little counter bells that you'd see in a hotel - you just put the counter bell on the floor and train then to ring it before you take them out - eventually, he'll know to tell you when he needs to go out. :)

Back