• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Zoey issues: Updated!

moniechris

So the past few nights with Zoey have been a little rough...I have been getting up every three hours to take to potty, and she does really, really well. After I put her back in the crate she screams and howls for a half hour (I ignore her) then finally goes to sleep. No rest for the weary...

The poor little thing has the runs, which I am sure is a combination between MAJOR stress of the flight, new environment, switching foods, and the de-wormer she got on Saturday. I am no too concerned because she drinks plenty of water, is SUPER active and is a good eater...but last night I had to get up every two hours with her...I have to admit I am tired. :cffee:

I figured out last night that she just really hates to be alone so I put her in the kennel with the other two boys, and she was quiet. Hopefully I found the solution.

When I came home from work yesterday, I discovered that she somehow managed to CLIMB OUT of the baby crib set up!!!! the good thing was, is that she used the puppy pads when she had to go even though she was completely alone :lol: So today she is with the boys, kenneled up in the kitchen. Before I was just too nervouse to leave her alone with them, but now that I know her, she probably has them corraled in a corner!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..YAAAAAWNN.

Whenever Tilly stays over, I crate her side by side with Izzy and put a big blanket that covers both the crates. That way, she can see Iz, but can't see outside of her crate. I don't hear a peep from her until the morning. (Spencer, the big spoiled brat, has to sleep with me or he screams all night :roll: ). Izzy doesn't mind being crated with her, so that is our system. I think Tilly and Zoey are around the same age (Tilly will be 14 weeks on Saturday).

Good luck with your precious little girl! :flwr:

I have thought about letting her sleep with me...but I am nervous because she has to go potty so often still, I am afraid she will have an accident. I would also be afraid of her falling off because she is so tiny!! :shock: It could make my life easier though, but I would prefer not to roll over into poop!

well take heed in the fact our puppy who came home the day after yours is much the same. But ours is sort of reversed compared to Zoey in some ways. Kodee has been a little fussy over eating and hense got a bit constipated. Not a happy camper the second night! She was up every 1.5 hrs. My husband does not want her sleeping in our bed ( I have to agree we are a late go to bed family - about 1 or 1:30, so it doesnt work to take her to bed with us as she crashes well before that.

On her second night, when she whined he'd get her up and plop her on a snow covered patio! She'd go like 2 drops, then he would hold her about 5 min - she'd be out like a light and put her in the crate. Get about an hrs sleep - repeat! I told him this was nuts, to accept the fact he cant keep sleeping on a couch - that tonight we would put the crate in the bedroom. But we didnt need to - we put her out at midnight, went to bed and before we knew it, the alarm went off at 7! She was awake but laying in her crate when we went down, and greeted us with a wagging tail and ran to were she knows the food is. I know, I know, most likely a complete fluke and tonight she'll be up!

I like the suggestion of the person that said put the crates side by side with one blanket over both. Its worth a shot! Eventually, she is going to want to stay with your other two anyways. But for you, if you take her in your bed its not the end of the world because eventually she will be able and happy to stay with your other dogs. (ah but for me, If I take her into my bed, she will be there for life!) She gets so much lap time during the day (she is lucky I am home) that I think for us its better to loose sleep and in time it will work out. I am a very light sleeper and get up a few times a night - I'd only make her miserable if she slept with us! She'd end up sleeping all day and missing too much playtime, socialization and cuddles.

Sounds like she'll do just fine with the boys. Good for her in going on the pads!! That's definitely progress. She's such a cute little teeny tiny thing!

For the diarrhea, you might want to feed her boiled chicken and white rice or boiled ground beef (drain the fat!) and white rice, then when her stools firm up, start mixing in her regular food. :flwr:

hi! i think from your message you keep your cavvies in the kitchen at night---is that right?

if so, i wonder if moving zoey's crate into your bedroom would work? maybe if she could see you she would be calmer?

btw....i love the new avatar with all three dogs. zoey's so tiny in comparison but she really holds her own doesn't she??? :D

good luck!
k

when we got Padden a few weeks back we had her sleeping through the night (well, almost). We had a few really early starts to our day! But we moved our night stands together and put her crate ontop of them. That way she was at the same level we were and if she started to cry I would just talk to her and she would calm down and go back to sleep. After a week of this we were waking her up in the morning.

We now let her sleep in our bed because she doesn't wake up at night anymore and will hold her potty until we take her out.

But it might help putting her crate in your room and see if that makes any difference!

Good luck...

I have to admit that as soon as I started crating Holly and Amber together all squeaks and complaints stopped. Now although Amber is very attached to me- when she's not playing she wants to be on my knee, while Holly's is often happy to curl up on 'her' spot on the sofa- Amber is also attached to Holly. Maybe too much so. She doesn't seem to mind me going away. Take holly AND me away though and she screams! My parents were quite horrified at the fuss she made when I left Amber with them for a while (this was the week she'd gotten spayed) to take Holly for a walk.
Even putting the crates together for Baby Amber didn't work.

If Zoey is a climber, I don't think the cot will work, especially since it looks soft sided? Have you got a giant crate you can use if you must leave her confined? I haven't been able to leave Amber in any sort of pen either.

Lisa_T said:
Take holly AND me away though and she screams! My parents were quite horrified at the fuss she made when I left Amber with them for a while.

Just like Merls and Oaks - Oakley makes such a fuss if Grandad takes Merls on a walk without him :?

Just to clarify, during the day the boys are corralled in the kitchen with a baby gate. Zoey did fine with them today! Usually when I get home they are jumping and howling to get let out and play, but today they were all fast asleep when I walked in. Apparently little Zoey wore them out :lol:

At night I have the boys in a very large crate (big enough for a boxer) and they sleep together in there. At 5am this morning after the third time getting up with Zoey, I put her in there and she was perfectly quiet. I didn't put her in there to begin with because I was concerned with having to get her out of the crate to potty and not letting the boys out. I tried having their crates side by side the first night and that didn't work at all. What was so awful is that the spare room echos because of the high ceilings and wood floors. I am sure the neighbors could hear her screams!! :roll:

I am going to try putting her in the same crate as the boys tonight and see how it goes...I liked the idea of having her at eye level in her crate, I will try that next if tonight doesn't go well.
*Heavy sigh* I am sooo sleepy!!

I started her on boiled chicken and rice so hopefully that will help. I am trying to switch her to Wellness Puppy Formula, but if her poo's don't firm up, I am going to take the bag back and get Innova. She is really, really small so I think the extra protien will do her good. Thanks everyone!! Keep those suggestions coming!!

Does she have free access to food and water? It doesn't hurt them if you restrict their intake of fluids after a certain time at night (a couple of hours of so before you go to bed) and will keep them from getting you up all night. She is young yet and doesn't have the bladder control she'll develop later on - but you know that!

I started Wallis out in a crate but Bubba didn't think it was fair for my other shihtzu to sleep with us and not her, so that was blown in no time. I think I've mentioned before that I went out of town once and he decided that the dogs didn't need to be crated at all when we were gone - which I don't agree with but Stewie 2 would scream her head off now if she was confined.

Good luck, and hope you catch those much needed zzzzzzzz's soon.

Zoe is really really small like Maddy.
I feed Maddy lamb and rice food by Canidae.
Touch wood, things have been great.
Pam

I just love to hear about how Zoey is comforted being with your other two! :)

Even though I have 3 cavs, the age thing was totally different. I had 2 puppies at once, then added a 4 yr old to two 3 yr olds. I like the idea of the puppy being with two adults. :flwr:

:w**h**: :mexwav: :w**h**:

WHOOOT WHOOT!!! ZOEY ACTUALLY SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!!

Thank the Lord, because I was about to die of exhaustion yesterday!!! Even though she din't make a sound, I am such a worry wart mommy that I woke up 15 times just to listen to see if I could hear her cry :roll: :lol:

The chicken and rice seems to have firmed her poos up :w**h**: ...But I fed her chicken and rice for breakfast, just to be sure. I will slowly begin to mix her new food in...How long should I do this for?

Hi First of all congratulations on your new baby!!! Zoey is really beautiful. The first couple of nights with Scout were a nightmare. She cried all night long, they were very long nights. My other dog slept on the floor next to the bed. When I took her for her vet visit I told her that she is not sleeping at all. She said, 'can she see you?'. I said no, but she's in the next room. She suggested putting her crate right next to my bed. I said ok anything to get some sleep. My bed is high, so I took a tote box that I had and slid that next to my bed and put Scout's crate on top of that. I put her in her crate and got into bed. She looked at me and I stuck my fingers inside and she licked them, whimpered once and drifted off to sleep. She did wake-up occasionally and made a little noise for the next few weeks. I would tell her quiet down and go back to sleep and you know what?, she did!!! :sl*p: I don't know if this will help, but I sure hope so.....

Darn!! Just when I was getting ready to say I'll take her off your hands. I don't work and I have insomnia so being sleepy is nothing new to me. :D

Glad you made it through the night. And I know about the checking on them thing only mine is the opposite end of the spectrum. Wallis will be so sound asleep and her hearing is bad. We can come in making all kinds of noise, she doesn't move and I start crying. It's always something!

Hooray! Sleep blessed sleep! As far as adding her food back I would do it over a couple of days.

Back