Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zoey issues: Updated!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, during the day the boys are corralled in the kitchen with a baby gate. Zoey did fine with them today! Usually when I get home they are jumping and howling to get let out and play, but today they were all fast asleep when I walked in. Apparently little Zoey wore them out

At night I have the boys in a very large crate (big enough for a boxer) and they sleep together in there. At 5am this morning after the third time getting up with Zoey, I put her in there and she was perfectly quiet. I didn't put her in there to begin with because I was concerned with having to get her out of the crate to potty and not letting the boys out. I tried having their crates side by side the first night and that didn't work at all. What was so awful is that the spare room echos because of the high ceilings and wood floors. I am sure the neighbors could hear her screams!!

I am going to try putting her in the same crate as the boys tonight and see how it goes...I liked the idea of having her at eye level in her crate, I will try that next if tonight doesn't go well.
    *Heavy sigh* I am sooo sleepy!!

I started her on boiled chicken and rice so hopefully that will help. I am trying to switch her to Wellness Puppy Formula, but if her poo's don't firm up, I am going to take the bag back and get Innova. She is really, really small so I think the extra protien will do her good. Thanks everyone!! Keep those suggestions coming!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Does she have free access to food and water? It doesn't hurt them if you restrict their intake of fluids after a certain time at night (a couple of hours of so before you go to bed) and will keep them from getting you up all night. She is young yet and doesn't have the bladder control she'll develop later on - but you know that!

I started Wallis out in a crate but Bubba didn't think it was fair for my other shihtzu to sleep with us and not her, so that was blown in no time. I think I've mentioned before that I went out of town once and he decided that the dogs didn't need to be crated at all when we were gone - which I don't agree with but Stewie 2 would scream her head off now if she was confined.

Good luck, and hope you catch those much needed zzzzzzzz's soon.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

Zoe is really really small like Maddy.
    I feed Maddy lamb and rice food by Canidae.
    Touch wood, things have been great.
    Pam
    Pam
    Mummy to Miss Madeleine born 9/1/2006

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just love to hear about how Zoey is comforted being with your other two!

Even though I have 3 cavs, the age thing was totally different. I had 2 puppies at once, then added a 4 yr old to two 3 yr olds. I like the idea of the puppy being with two adults.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

WHOOOT WHOOT!!! ZOEY ACTUALLY SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!!

Thank the Lord, because I was about to die of exhaustion yesterday!!! Even though she din't make a sound, I am such a worry wart mommy that I woke up 15 times just to listen to see if I could hear her cry

The chicken and rice seems to have firmed her poos up ...But I fed her chicken and rice for breakfast, just to be sure. I will slowly begin to mix her new food in...How long should I do this for?
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi First of all congratulations on your new baby!!! Zoey is really beautiful. The first couple of nights with Scout were a nightmare. She cried all night long, they were very long nights. My other dog slept on the floor next to the bed. When I took her for her vet visit I told her that she is not sleeping at all. She said, 'can she see you?'. I said no, but she's in the next room. She suggested putting her crate right next to my bed. I said ok anything to get some sleep. My bed is high, so I took a tote box that I had and slid that next to my bed and put Scout's crate on top of that. I put her in her crate and got into bed. She looked at me and I stuck my fingers inside and she licked them, whimpered once and drifted off to sleep. She did wake-up occasionally and made a little noise for the next few weeks. I would tell her quiet down and go back to sleep and you know what?, she did!!! I don't know if this will help, but I sure hope so.....
    Sharon, proud Mom of Scout (tri) and Breeze (Newfie)

Post Thanks / Like

Darn!! Just when I was getting ready to say I'll take her off your hands. I don't work and I have insomnia so being sleepy is nothing new to me.

Glad you made it through the night. And I know about the checking on them thing only mine is the opposite end of the spectrum. Wallis will be so sound asleep and her hearing is bad. We can come in making all kinds of noise, she doesn't move and I start crying. It's always something!
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray! Sleep blessed sleep! As far as adding her food back I would do it over a couple of days.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah