• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help!! Need tips for destructive chewing

Lani

Lucky is a little over 7 months and for the last week and a half or so his chewing has gotten crazy destructive.

I buy him toys that seem indestructible and they are destoyed within hours (by destroyed, I mean to the point that I think they are unsafe and have to take them away from him ...).

I've sprayed all the power cords with Fooey (which I understand is better than bitter apple ...). I am horrified to say he has gotten to two of them - one I caught in time and the other thankfully was unplugged. I hate to crate him while I"m home, but I work from home and cannot always be watching him every minute or I'd never get any work done. I'll think he's being quiet and sleeping and then I look over and he's about to get into something ...

I had some frozen baby carrots and gave him a few of those and some ice cubes ...

My questions:

-Any other tips of safe (or indestructible) things to give him to redirect the chewing?
-When does it stop? My understanding is that the molars come in at 7 months (ish) and so that is probably what this is.

How long will it last? When will the devil doggy leave and sweet Lucky come back to me?? (just kidding, he's not a devil dog, not really ...)

I dont remember when it stops or how long it took, as it has been 15 yrs since puppy days (mine is only 8 wks now)! But I do remember what I did. I used a really long lightweight line - one end on the dog, one on me. I had her follow me about the house as I cleaned etc.. It worked well for two reasons. I could catch her doing things and redirect/correct and she got to be with me instead of always locked up. Sometimes I put her in the laundry room with her bed if I needed a break from my tag along and sometimes when I had the time to give her total attention I let her loose. I know it didnt take long, each wk the lead was needed less

I do not remember exactly when it stopped with Tucker, but all of a sudden I realized a few months ago that he had not destroyed anything that did not belong to him. He's still brutal on his toys. But he hasn't eaten anything like my eyeglasses, bits of plastic or chewed on the woodwork in several months. It was probably right around one year that the worst was past. Nylabone bones have proven to be something he cannot destroy in an instant. I still check them for jagged edges, replace them if they are getting too mangled. In fact I need more now as we're all out. He does well with mini-tennis balls. The winnie the pooh you see in his avatar has just had both arms amputated because they were hanging by threads but otherwise of any stuffed toy it's lasted for months. It's a Fisher Price toy intended for children no younger than 18-24 months. For tug of war toys, he does best with the ones I've made myself by knotting strips of cotton fabric, like a belt from an old robe.

The molar chewing stage is a dangerous one. I think you have to watch out for him until 1 year old in this stage. Maybe an x-pen would help?

Safe chews are Kongs, Nylabones (not the clear ones) and bully sticks (take the stubs away by offering him a treat)

My trainer told me to do exactly what Kodee suggested. I wish I would take my own advice because I am RIGHT WITH YOU LANI!! Cody is driving me NUTS with his whirlwind of destruction!! He'll be 7 months old on the 2nd. I just have yet to do it, with Cody, but it completely worked with Wesley. I should probably get on that...before I lose another pair of shoes!!! :sl*p:

You guys are the greatest.

I'll try the following along game although that really is not my problem - if I'm up he's always at my heels. The biggest issue is when I am working and have to focus on anything other than him. icon_whistling

The x-pen idea is a FABULOUS one!!! Thanks Cathy. I have one actually and just set it up in the office. He's happy enough to be near me and able to see me and I'm thrilled that I know there's nothing dangerous in there that will cause him to get hurt if I cannot watch him every second.

Any other ideas are welcome too!!! :flwr:

:thnku:

Re Kongs: I don't think I'd trust the so called puppy ones ( the stick-shaped ones in particular) as they seem very soft and a determined chewer could bite piece off and suffer a gut blockage, as a result. This happened to a Yorkie who was being collected after his op,when I was there, a few years ago, but he'd swallowed a piece of squeaky toy.

Perhaps putting some of his daily food ration in a treat ball would create a distraction from chewing, for a while and the pen would control the area it's allowed to roll in..

Yes, the X-Pen is a salvation! Quincy goes into his when he is overly-hyped as when the granddaughters are here, or when he is trying to get our attention by going after the TV remote, etc., and when we leave the house for a few hours. He loves his snuggly bed in the pen and I always give him several of the dried chicken rounds that he adores to eat. And speaking of dried chicken "thingies" ... I found he was not eating as much of his kibble when he was given 2 or 3 of the dried chicken sticks a day for treats. The rounds are much smaller and do not interfere with his appetite. I did digress didn't I........... Sorry................

Linda'nQuincy - I totally agree on those chicken rounds!! Lucky will do anything for those and I love that they are not too big like the dried filets!

Boy can I sympathize with you. Our Casey, who we call Jaws, is a chewer. Window blinds, cords, woodwork, shoes, glasses, you name it. He is finally starting to slow up. In addition to teaching NO, we have redirected him to other chewing things and he has finally gotten the notion that he should only chew his things.

We used an old sock with a knot tied in it, frozen, for really bad teething. In addition to bully sticks, bully tails, bimple bones, he LOVES chewing on toys from Helping Udders: http://www.helpingudders.com/

The x-pen is a great idea! And I love your new Lucky avatar. He is so handsome.

Linda'nQuincy said:
I am so sorry for the multiple entries below. I guess I got carried away with the mouse......... :(
Linda, those duplicate entries happen a lot. As a moderator, I always delete them as I encounter them! Ooops, I deleted it before I read this post!!! :lol:

Barbara Nixon said:
Re Kongs: I don't think I'd trust the so called puppy ones ( the stick-shaped ones in particular) as they seem very soft and a determined chewer could bite piece off and suffer a gut blockage, as a result. This happened to a Yorkie who was being collected after his op,when I was there, a few years ago, but he'd swallowed a piece of squeaky toy.

Perhaps putting some of his daily food ration in a treat ball would create a distraction from chewing, for a while and the pen would control the area it's allowed to roll in..
Good point Barbara, I know there are black kongs that are supposed to be indestructible, and the red ones have always help up with Geordie (my version of "Jaws" - :lol: Molly!) But the blue and white puppy kong might not be a good choice!

I buy the chicken rounds at Pet People here in San Diego. They are in a yellow and clear plastic tub and are made by Pet Center Inc. They also have a web site: www.petcenterinc.com. Phone number: (800) 390-0575. The best part is they are made from 100% chicken breast.

Gus loves a toy called Antlerz... it is actual deer antler that has been shed... so they don't hurt the deer. Gus is still chewing on one I got him about 4 months ago!

Back