• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Trip to Get Faith :) ~ Updated - with a NAME!

arasara

Yesterday morning I woke up WAY before it was even light outside at 3:30AM.. Although most mornings my alarm clock taunts me and when I hit sleep the minutes seem to go by faster and faster yesterday morning was different. I think I woke up at 12.. 1 something.. 2 something.. and then by 3 I was just kind of closing my eyes and saying “is it time yet is it time yet?!” :roll:

When the alarm clock finally went off I think I got what is something similar to the “puppy zoomies.” I JUMPED out of bed and was running around the house like a chicken with my head cut off trying to make sure I had all of the papers right and that everything in my house was puppy friendly. I came upstairs to give Kosmo his morning walk (we all know we can’t count on the males while we’re out!) :lol: and Kosmo was laying there like he was dead. I had to put his harness on him while he was lying down and as soon as I clasped it he ran right back under the covers, LOL. Then I drug him downstairs and put his booties on and he ran straight to his crate and went to sleep. Do any of you guys have dogs that act like lazy old men in the mornings?! Holy cow he is a chore!! After I got back I took a shower and threw on some clothes and then it was time to leave (4:45 is when we got out the door.)

I arrived at the airport with butterflies in my tummy about 5:30 ~ the dude at the ticket counter was not impressed because international flights are supposed check in 2 hours before departure – whatever. That was as early as I was gonna make it there and that was that. I checked in and then was sent through customs – Of course I never have a problem getting into the US so they let me through without a hitch. Upon rounding the corner to security “check-in” I noticed a rather tallish older looking guy giving me “that stare” :*gh: “YOU he said ~ and he pointed towards gate #4” I didn’t know exactly what that meant, but gate #4 was not with the other gates so I knew it couldn’t be good. I put my carry on suitcase on the roller and it went through the machine. Mic’s cavalier blanket was in there and when it came this chick goes “Sharon – get this one” Great. “Mam is this your bag? Can I open it?” They took it out and completely unfolded it after it had taken me about 10 minutes to stuff the darn thing in to begin with! Then the next one – “Mam you know you’re not allowed to carry any sort of liquids on the plane ~ I’m going to have to confiscate this honey”.. then my purse which she didn’t even ask about – she just opened and rifled through it. I then got “wanded” and was sent on my merry way. I tell you guys – it’s starting to get to the point where if I don’t get searched and everything gone through by customs I’m going to think something is wrong!! They must have my name on some sort of list.

Take off went great – the whole flight I was trying to sleep (sleep? Yeah right!) and my OH was nice enough to surprise me by putting the entire new Chris Daughtry CD on the iPOD. That whole CD is just fantastic. When I got to Memphis I could barely wait any longer. I boarded the plane to little rock and had a great time just looking at the scenery from Memphis to LR. It’s absolutely beautiful. It’s also very bizarre – lots of rice fields and irrigation fields for rice. I was pretty surprised at how flat it was, but I guess it could have just been the area. That flight went so quickly – that is exactly what I needed. :)

When I arrived in LR I was just certain Mic was going to greet me coming off the plane. Then I remembered the new security measures and that I was going to have to go outside the airport. Ugh. So I get out there and she was running a little late because there was a wreck on the freeway but she said “wait 5 minutes and I’ll be there!” 5 minutes! :yikes That was probably the longest 5 minutes of my life.

When I seen Mic pull in I got so excited. I didn’t tell her this but I’m telling you it was an emotional experience for me – I was tearing up on the whole way to the car! She got out and had Faith in her beautiful little camo carrier and she made me WAIT to see her!! She told me that I wasn’t allowed unless she was able to take pictures.. of course I sacrificed and we had a photo-op.

When I opened the bag I saw the most beautiful little girl face I think I’ve ever seen in my entire life. At the moment that her eyes met mine I knew it was meant to be and everything was worth it. I can’t properly describe how I was feeling but it was just complete euphoria.

b73508002.jpg

After our little meeting we went in to check Faith in and make sure everything was alright with the luggage and check in. She was such a good girl. I could barely take my eyes off her the whole time I was there. I had a hard time concentrating on talking to Mic I was just so excited to finally have Faith.

Then we went to PetSmart and PetCo and Mic replenished her nature’s miracle supply. Apparently Faith had her using all of hers in 3 weeks! :yikes I got her another petstages toy, a pink coat from PetCo and some booda bimples for the plane ride home.

b73561254.jpg

Then we went to Mic’s house – and let me tell you guys – her house is absolutely gorgeous!! ;) I got to meet Abby and Cappy when I was there – they are so adorable!! I got lots of puppy kisses and hugs from the two of them. They are both very well behaved (good job Mic!!)

They are SOO cute!:

b73560539.jpg

It took me a long time to go through all of my boxes I had on the table. I didn’t think I had bought that much stuff but boy was I ever surprised!! It took me a lot of Ziploc bags and “shifting” to fit everything in my small suitcase together. In the midst of this Mic took it upon herself to make me a beautiful lunch. ;) It was wonderful – I never like anything to do with bell peppers but Mic – you go girl your food was great!!

After everything was done we loaded back up into her car and went to get her daughter from school. Her daughter held Faith on the way to the airport. It was a bitter sweet feeling for me. I was a little sad that I was taking this little girl from all that she knows and loves, but I was so happy inside for myself. When we got to the airport Mic’s daughter took Faith for a pee and she went TWO times! I spent my time checking in my bags and getting everything ready for “dog-travel.”

Then we gave hugs and parted ways. The Little Rock Airport was MUCH nicer to me than Toronto! They had me take Faith out of her carrier and that with my carry on bag (full of TOYS!) went through the screener while I held her and we passed the metal detector. ;) I waited for about an hour before leaving to Memphis and I had a wonderful experience with her on the plane. She slept the whole time. I was planning on taking her out of her carrier but I looked in and she was belly up passed out so I left her. That flight is short anyways. I tried to convince her to go to the bathroom on a pee pad at the Memphis airport but she was having no part of that. She tried to escape underneath the bathroom stall and completely scared the “pee” out of a lady! (get it?! HA!) I ended up accepting her fate – if she was gonna potty in the carrier, then she was gonna potty in the carrier – I’d just have to deal with it and go from there.

Departing from Memphis took another hour. I had fun with Faith in the bathroom:

b73560580.jpg

I did get a glimpse of the plane we were riding on before we got on and BOY I almost had a heart attack!! This looked like a SMALL fedex plane or something ~ I was freaking. I decided to board the plane with the disabled people so that we could be settled by the time the rush hit. Faith could have cared less what I did. The lady sitting next to me on the flight home seen her in the carrier and had a cow!! She made such a commotion holding her and playing with her that by the time they closed the doors half of the plane’s passengers were standing at “9A.” They absolutely loved her and her story. ;) She was passed around like a hot potato and she loved every second of it. ;) It was really gratifying for me to see a puppy who was supposed to not be here be so happy and with so much love.

As soon as we were level I sort of put my coat over my lap and scooped Faith out and put her on my lap. She’s such a funny girl she was sleeping on my lap upside down for most of the flight. She didn’t make a peep once. I think I Might have briefly fallen asleep too but I was sharply awakened by the HARD bite of puppy teeth.. The dragon had awoken and she was “up and at em!” She was biting the carrier, my coat – anything she could think of. Thank God I had so many toys in my carry on bag. When she got tired of biting one I would rotate it for a new one. I went through 2 petstages toys, 4 different nylabones and a booda bimple. At one point a flight attendant came by and let me tell you ~ so much for the “keep the dogs in the bag in the airplane” rule!! She stole her and got some puppy kisses for herself. It was adorable. I put her back in her carrier with about 30 minutes to go and she fell fast asleep again. ;) Then we landed.

Coming off the plane sucked – it was so small that they parked in a certain spot, made us walk down some stairs and then catch a bus to customs. The bus was so packed that people were like sardines. Then we went off to customs – no bathroom break time. I was incredibly nervous that customs was going to make me pay duties and taxes (up to 28%!) on “the value of the dog” and my US purchases going through. To make matters worse, when I gave them my customs card they “R94’d” me. I asked her what that meant and she’s like “you’ll find out when you get there.” Great…

I walked into this little room which I remember was used for “luggage inspection” as I’d been in there once before. Surprisingly it was quiet. I made my way up to somebody that looked like a teenage guy with 3 girls sitting around him. I figured he’d be the nicest to me. So I came up and proudly declared “I’m here cuz I have a dog.” (I didn’t want to take the chance of him going through my crap) He asked me for her rabies vacc and I told him that she was under 12 weeks and her story and he and the females seemed totally smitten with her. Then I said “Do you want to see her? Come on I know you do!” And he’s like “anything that fits in that small of a bag is NOT a dog” and while he was saying that I pulled her out and shoved her over at him and, of course, he fell in love. Then he said that dreaded question “How much money did you spend” and I said what I spent but then I said I went on a shopping spree for the new rescue puppy because she deserves the best after her ordeal and I think I made him feel bad for me.. not that that wasn’t the point ;) He told me “technically you should pay but ~ she’s cute enough I’m not going to make you… so :w**h**: !! I got through customs and didn’t have to pay!! Oh AND she didn't soil herself the whole time!

I then met avi in the car and he brought Kosmo with him. Oh Kos was SOO excited to sniff her and be with her. It was the cutest thing I think I’ve ever seen. On the way home I heard this sound and I just started cracking up – SHE WAS SNORING!! :jmp2: LOL she snores SO loudly for being such a tiny girl! We got home and she did a poop and a pee outside, one inside, and she played with Kosmo for about an hour. He loves to play with her – they have so much fun together. I had to call Mic late last night to say “hey listen they are barking at each other” LOL we were having fun.

b73560615.jpg

She settled in nicely last night and didn’t have an accident from 12-5 – I didn’t stretch it any longer than that. I have figured out now that she is a complete FOOD mongrel and she LOVES charlee bears. She will pee outside and if she sees me going for the bear she’ll run and pee at the same time with her tail going 100mph. She doesn’t like the cold snow too much but I’m hoping that her muttluks fit her soon.

b73561144.jpg

Anyways thanks for listening to my drawn out story of Faith – she’s doing GREAT!! She’s had a few accidents but man this girl can drink with the best of em!! She pees clear – lol. I’m off to take her to the vet tonight and then I NEED to get some nature’s miracle for her. I’ve sectioned off the dining room and kitchen so that I can watch her a little better while I’m in the kitchen doing whatever. She’s just perfect ;) She’s already learned the role of a cavalier – she’s passed out on my lap right now. ;) :lol:

This is my favorite picture of her:

b73561436.jpg

b73561479.jpg

b73561736.jpg

b73561803.jpg

b73561853.jpg

Thank you for all the wonderful details and pictures. Faith is absolutely the cutest little puppy ever! Have you taken off some time from work to make Faith and Kosmo comfortable with the changes in their lives? And also so you can play with the the 2 of them. :lol:

Your beautiful story of Faith's homecoming trip had me in tears (of joy). I loved the pictures and she is just adorable! You have much joy and happiness ahead. Glad Kosmo is getting along with her so well. Hooray, Faith is home!

Yea Sara! Glad you're home and settling in. Thanks for sharing all the excitement and details--makes us feel like we were there! Little Faith is quite the looker--and looks like she's a pistol, too! She'll give Kosmo a run for his money I'll bet.

The pictures are great--she's such a cherub! Looks like she came home to lots of great loot, too! Great job picking out jus the right things. She blends in with her leopard bed. She's so small you might lose her in there--lol!

Have fun and thanks again for reporting in so soon!

So, the all important question....is her name going to be Faith!?

What a wonderful trip you had! She is just gorgeous and congrats on letting Faith flirt your way through customs!!

Holy crap!! What an adventure!! I am so thrilled that you finally got her home!!!! I am sure everyone on the plane was completely smitten with her. I love that the guy let you off the hook. Way to go Sara!!!!

Damn Damn Damn, I am really going to start cursing in a second because, once again: I am the only one who can't see your pics!!!! How does this happen??!!! All I see are little red x's in squares where the pictures are supposed to be. :swear: Sometimes I can see them, some times not, but this is killing me!!!! :( I want to see Faith too!!!

oh sara i was nearly crying reading that story it has a great ending!! oh she is fab, and u can see just how much u love her! :flwr: wish u all the luck in the welcome with ur new edition and not forgetting Kosmo :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

The best days are the days when babies come!! She's beautiful, as if you don't know that. You're so lucky!!

Just a side bar - do you have a passport to travel back and forth across the border? I've been checking things out online and have found out that we will have to have ours to get into Mexico in April. They are changing the laws so that basically anybody who travels is going to have to have one. The website said that Mexico, Canada and some of the Islands are going to be the first to require them, gradually adding in other countries. Another thing on our list of things to do!

Lucky you - I wish I had a baby. :D

Dear Sara and Faith,

I have tears streaming down my face. Thank you for sharing your story. You'll be able to treasure it in the passing years whenever you wish to recall the details of how your lives together began. Mic is an amazing person for rescuing Faith and taking such loving care of her until you, her forever Mummy, could get Faith in your own arms. I'm happy for all concerned. I'm not surprised you were able to charm the young man at customs, you are not only beautiful on the outside but the inside too, which is what shines through. I look forward to each new post, and every picture you share. Congratulations to kosmo and Avi too. What a wonderful family you have. Faith is the perfect addition to it.

Oh and one more thing, I can tell by the pictures that Faith has that feisty b/t personality, she'll be ruling the roost in no time :)

Lots of love,
Joanne and Tucker

She's sooo gorgeous! I want her! LOL

I'm glad your trip went well and she's home with you now! I love the pictures, and Kosmo looks like the proud big brother already! :D

Are you sure you got enough stuff for her? :lol:

Sara,
What a terrific day for all of you! Thank you so much for sharing the joy of adopting a rescue puppy - especially a beautiful Black and Tan!!! It's no wonder she stole your heart, she is a doll baby. I'm so happy you and Mickey were able to make this miracle happen.
JaneB

She is a special little girl, your story is so heartwarming. Wishing you many years of joy with little Faith and Kosmo. :flwr:

Thank you Ashley for emailing me the pics so I can see too :lol: . She really is perfect Sara!! You both are so lucky to have each other!! :lotsaluv:

i have been thinking about you all day and couldn't wait to get on the web to see if you had her home. So glad that everything went ok. Love the pictures of kosmo and faith together. I bet you can't take your eyes off her at the moment hope you have some days off work so you can spend some time with her. It's going to kill you having to leave her for the first time.

Thanks for all of your wonderful support guys!!

kosmo is not getting along as well as first thought. He's played with Faith twice today but most of the time he wants to sit down and be depressed. His tail no longer wags like it used to nor do his kisses seem as sloppy as they once were.. I guess you could say he's a bit of a depressed little boy!! :lol: I give him 2 weeks to be back to normal. ;)

I just got back from Faith's first vet visit. The vet changed her name from "Jane Doe" to "faith" and I don't know what comes next, LOL. We still haven't changed her name - she comes to Faith and that's a good thing. I like the name Faith ;) We'll decide within the next 24 hours I suppose ;)

She's been pretty good potty training wise today ~ of course I've gotten NOTHING done throughout the house but ya gotta give a little to get a little, right? For my OH not being too excited about getting another dog he sure seems to have stolen Faith pretty quickly! :roll: That's how it always works, right? No poops inside so far so YAY! That's a good thing because she's gotten a little runny today if ya know what I mean.. ;) 2 pees inside but they were both caught ~ had to change my clothes on the second one again but it's all worth it to get her to go outside. Outside were several more than 2 so I am proud of her for that. ;)

Mic were you giving her cookies for going potty outside?! I think she's a smart cookie - she's put 2 and 2 together and as soon as she squats and hears "GOOD GIRL!" she wags as she's squatting and immediately hops up on my leg for her treat. She's not dumb, that's for sure! :wink:

I am still exhausted. American Idol tonight and then - it's BED TIME! :D

The vet tech's scale was 5.5 lbs :shock: Mic took her in the day before she left and they said she was 4.7 - so I don't know whose scale is wrong!

Her heart and knees are fine - she didn't mean to say the pet store vet was nuts but she sort of told me there's absolutely no problem with her knees.

Hmmmm - sounds almost like her name might be "Cookie"!! :D

I'm glad (and green!) that you're having such fun with her and that she is being such a good girl.

Back