Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: chocolate

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    1,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have to admit I'm paranoid about any kind of chocolate, and after hours of lecturing my family has finally realised that chocolate in any form is not to be given to my dogs. Apart from doggy choc. My dad still very rarely slips Holly a bit of digestive biscuit with choc on it, but since my mum no longer buys choccie biccies anyway, not a major problem.

    Holly will ignore me eating chocolate so long as she can lick the wrapper. Keeps her happy,keeps me happy, and I make sure she doesn't actually eat the wrapper. The aroma of chocolate must stay on the paper, because both dogs really like licking it even though there's no trace of actual choc on it.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Even though today, I would never give my dogs any chocolate at all, years ago before it was established that chocolate was bad for dogs we had a mixed breed. This was in the 70's. At Christmas time he would stand by the candy dish that was filled with little chocolate balls wrapped in foil. He didn't eat the foil, but he would wait for us to unwrap them. He ate 7-8 a day!!!! We didn't know at the time that it was bad for him. Thankfully he never got sick. As far as we knew he was just enjoying them. Although I would probably still call the vet, I think it takes a lot of chocolate to do harm.
    Sharon, proud Mom of Scout (tri) and Breeze (Newfie)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    cumbola, pa
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    thanks for all of your responses... max is fine. he didnt have any symptoms other than a little extra energy last night

    i didnt call my vet, because i called them about 3 months ago to inquire about chocolate eating... i had max at a friends house, and he came running down their steps with a big piece of chocolate cake in his mouth!! i was more concerned that time because i had no idea how much he had eaten. i called the vet and they told me to watch him and if he seemed to show any signs of distress to bring him in immediately... he was fine that time too.

    i sound like a bad mommy letting max get into chocoltae twice... it's like i turn my back for a second and thats all he needs to get into mischief.
    Jill and maxwell (max)- cavalier; and woodrow (woody)-brittany

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northeast NJ
    Posts
    1,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Excellent info. Thanks Karlin. Perhaps you could put your post with all the info in the health section as the subject of chocolate seems to come up periodically.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •