I have to admit I'm paranoid about any kind of chocolate, and after hours of lecturing my family has finally realised that chocolate in any form is not to be given to my dogs. Apart from doggy choc. My dad still very rarely slips Holly a bit of digestive biscuit with choc on it, but since my mum no longer buys choccie biccies anyway, not a major problem.
Holly will ignore me eating chocolate so long as she can lick the wrapper. Keeps her happy,keeps me happy, and I make sure she doesn't actually eat the wrapper. The aroma of chocolate must stay on the paper, because both dogs really like licking it even though there's no trace of actual choc on it.