Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricks for styling !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tricks for styling !

I went to a dog show not long ago, and saw all these beatiful Cavaliers with nice long STRAIGHT hairs on their ears .. something like this

i love them!
    i heard they blow dry them, brushing them while at it, i tried but it was sooo difficult! especially when baby Cherrise doesnot like any hairdriers near her ears.. it's like one hand on her, one hand holding the brush, hair dryer between my shoulder and head!

Showing breeders, or anybody that has successfully tried it, is there any tricks for this ?? [/img]
    Lin. proud owner of baby Cherrise, Blenheim princess, 11.5 months and baby Hope, Pomeranian princess, 10.5 months.. !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Getting ears to look like that really requires the right equipment. Show breeders have special tables and restraints for holding dogs that also are very used to being blowdried etc. It requires a ot of brushing and drying and many then use hair straightening irons on the ears, special wraps and hairspray to get that look. It also is very short-lived.

I'd just enjoy the natural look your cavalier has and not subject the dog to the work needed to get a look for the show ring that will be quickly gone as soon as the dog starts running around and acting like a dog.

Barbara Garnett-Wilson's new book on cavaliers has a chapter on grooming that is very useful -- along with more regular grooming tips, it does give a guide for how to blowdry and do ears and a dog generally for a show. Not for the faint-hearted.

Ps I am biased anyway -- I simply hate that fake fluffed out straight eared show look.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

like karlin says most showers spend hours geting that look I have a grooming table and arm and i blow dry using a good spray I have never used straightners i spend enough time getting my own hair straight with those LOL
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am probably prejudiced against straight ears because I have long straight hair and always admire hair with some curl in it...

A lot of show folks also have special dog hairdryers that do a much more efficient job than my sad little hair blowdrier...
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

IMO... i love the curlies!!

Although... Karlin,

being a curly haired girl... I have always envied straight hair... I have my hair straightening down to a science!! Everyday!

[B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it we always want we don't have . I like straight hair and go to great lengths to make mine straight, having naturally curly thick hair. Takes me an hour plus just to blow it dry. I do love the curly ears on cavaliers though. Of course Lily's ears are straight.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

i love the curly eard look with cavs......LOL

just blow dryed on showing days apart from India who has dead straight ears anyway so thats easy
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

i just did it for fun ! it's not like I want Cher's hair to look like that everyday.. hee hee. i love her hair the way it is
    but o mi gosh, straightening things to use on dogs??wow..

yeah the grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it ?
    Lin. proud owner of baby Cherrise, Blenheim princess, 11.5 months and baby Hope, Pomeranian princess, 10.5 months.. !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jaspar has really straight ears too but Lily and Leo 's ears can be really kinky, especially Lily's!

I just washed and dried Jaspar today -- he got really muddy on a walk this morning and was a bit grubby anyway as they'd all been in kennels for the weekend. He's nice and fluffy now. I didn't have enough energy to do the other two as well.

BTW here's a grooming tip: I just discovered Lily enjoys being vacuumed with the Dyson's furniture attachment.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I always envied straight or curly hair, because mine is something between both!!!
    Laura Lia Maia