• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tricks for styling !

babyC

I went to a dog show not long ago, and saw all these beatiful Cavaliers with nice long STRAIGHT hairs on their ears .. something like this

321696747_31ce3b5ab2_o.jpg

i love them! :luv:
i heard they blow dry them, brushing them while at it, i tried but it was sooo difficult! especially when baby Cherrise doesnot like any hairdriers near her ears.. it's like one hand on her, one hand holding the brush, hair dryer between my shoulder and head! h*lp h*lp

Showing breeders, or anybody that has successfully tried it, is there any tricks for this ?? :roll: :D [/img]

Getting ears to look like that really requires the right equipment. Show breeders have special tables and restraints for holding dogs that also are very used to being blowdried etc. It requires a ot of brushing and drying and many then use hair straightening irons on the ears, special wraps and hairspray to get that look. It also is very short-lived.

I'd just enjoy the natural look your cavalier has and not subject the dog to the work needed to get a look for the show ring that will be quickly gone as soon as the dog starts running around and acting like a dog. (y)

Barbara Garnett-Wilson's new book on cavaliers has a chapter on grooming that is very useful -- along with more regular grooming tips, it does give a guide for how to blowdry and do ears and a dog generally for a show. Not for the faint-hearted.

Ps I am biased anyway -- I simply hate that fake fluffed out straight eared show look. :lol:

like karlin says most showers spend hours geting that look I have a grooming table and arm and i blow dry using a good spray I have never used straightners i spend enough time getting my own hair straight with those LOL

:lol: I am probably prejudiced against straight ears because I have long straight hair and always admire hair with some curl in it... :p

A lot of show folks also have special dog hairdryers that do a much more efficient job than my sad little hair blowdrier...

IMO... i love the curlies!!

Although... Karlin,

being a curly haired girl... I have always envied straight hair... I have my hair straightening down to a science!! Everyday!

icon_whistling

Why is it we always want we don't have :lol:. I like straight hair and go to great lengths to make mine straight, having naturally curly thick hair. Takes me an hour plus just to blow it dry. I do love the curly ears on cavaliers though. Of course Lily's ears are straight. :roll:

i love the curly eard look with cavs......LOL

just blow dryed on showing days apart from India who has dead straight ears anyway so thats easy

:rotfl: i just did it for fun ! it's not like I want Cher's hair to look like that everyday.. hee hee. i love her hair the way it is :D
but o mi gosh, straightening things to use on dogs??wow..

yeah the grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it ? :roll:

Jaspar has really straight ears too but Lily and Leo 's ears can be really kinky, especially Lily's!

I just washed and dried Jaspar today -- he got really muddy on a walk this morning and was a bit grubby anyway as they'd all been in kennels for the weekend. He's nice and fluffy now. :) I didn't have enough energy to do the other two as well.

BTW here's a grooming tip: I just discovered Lily enjoys being vacuumed with the Dyson's furniture attachment. :v*cuum:

another breeder helped me with Nina's ears at her first show. She did a fantastic job, and they looked almost trimmed!

And I love Amber's nice straight ears because it's so much easier to keep than Holly's. Holly's ears are spookily like my hair- black, thick and kinky. Only her's are silky and my hair is fine and frizzy. Doesn't seem fair, does it?!

I can usually get Bella's pretty straight with a blowdryer and brush, but, like Karlin said, it's very short lived :lol: Though, at 6 months, hers is more puppyfluff than actually hair.

I've also been reading up on grooming techniques, and have concluded that it's all too much time/work to get her looking like a showgirl. I don't spend that much time on my own head, LOL.

I'll settle for a freshly bathed, fluff-dried baby. I love how she looks all "floofy" (as dh calls it :lol: ) after a bath, but I also take note of how she runs around the house like an idiot immediately after trying to 'undo' what was just done.

Lookin' like a kleenex box cover just isn't natural to them :D

Back