Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are your dogs at the vet?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How are your dogs at the vet?

So Gus is friend to all, runs up to everybody, but lately with all the trips to the vet he is starting to get cautious. Today at the vet he sat under my chair and peeked around my legs. I felt bad for him, but it was a little funny. Then when my vet was showing me the x-rays, Gus would stand behind me hiding from the vet.

He did the same thing at doggie daycare. He would sit in my lap, like if I am sitting on you, you can't leave me here!
    Kath

Post Thanks / Like

The first time i took my two into the vets they were fine...didnt wince or whine through the needles at all..there tails were on full blast...licking every1..2nd time (just casual check up) both fine.....then Milo damaged his eye... we had 2 go in about 5 times every couple of days for that...he was oblivious at first but then he would pull away from the lead when entering the vets place...in the waiting room he sat on my lap without his tail wagging at all (extrememly unusual 4 him!)....he whimpered when i took him into the vets office and sat between my legs the whole time with this sad puppy dog look on his face and his ears drooping...it totally broke my heart....so from now on officially Milo hates the vet!
    Monty still hasnt been in anything serious so he thinks of it like any other place..and loves it
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest taking him to to the vet once in a while and have the techs just play with him for 5 minutes. Then take him back home. That way he has some positive experiences at the vet too. We know a couple people who do this and the techs (and occaisionly the vets, depending on shedule) are more than happy to spend a few minutes with the dogs.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

I don't let my dogs play on the floor in or around a vet clinic. I actually try to plan puppy shot for first thing in the morning, before any sick dogs come in. sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to take mine in to weigt them as the scales were in the waiting area, but they've remodeled! It was a good way to just drop in -- I'd walk them there then take them swimming in the nearby canal. Mine all are fine at the vets -- they all jump on to the seats in a row like patients waiting and mainly trot around sniffing things in the exam room. I often hold Jaspar though as he likes seeing what is going on and gets whiny on the floor. Normally I'd ignore that if possible but I don;t like his whines to aggravate the vets!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Duncan is so great, even the vets comment on it. He will get up on the table and roll over arms and legs spread waiting for his exam (massage).

Duncan had an inguinal hernia not long after he was neutered and we had a bad vet experience. We have since changed vets and left that bad experience behind us. Now he loves to go.

Arthur is another story. scared, tail between legs, pathetic look on his face. He looks as if he is pleading with us...'please don't let them stick that thing up my butt' His colitis that lasted almost a month has caused this.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

indy is such a funny dog---he LOVES the vets! he bursts in with great enthusiam and greets them with licks, but i recently started keeping him in his kennel while we are in the waiting room. he gets overexcited and won't sit and wait patiently----only slightly embarrassing as the 12 week old puppies etc...sit quietly under their owner's chair like perfect little ladies and gentlemen!

indy doesn't know that his first round of training classes is on the way!

he's quite good during the examinations though...he sat quietly through getting his anal glands expressed this week. didn't move at all---just sort of looked at me like, 'why are you letting her do this to me??'

i actually never thought about the fact sick dogs are spreading their germs around the floor just like at the doctor's office. maybe i should keep him in his kennel even when we get him better trained.....
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like

Tucker was once described in a vet's notes as "rambunctious" it wounded me a bit at first, but it's the truth. He craves the attention of everyone in the Vet's waiting room. I hold him securely on my lap, he whines, cries and carries on. Usually no one in the waiting room is familiar with cavaliers and they often comment on how cute he is and then they ask "what's wrong with him, is he crying, is he frightened" and I explain "no he just wants to say hello to you" I usually have everyone in the waiting room asking questions and patting Tucker. Depending on how long I wait, it's an explanation I often have to give several times. Though every one of Tucker's exams have been painful for him, shots, getting fecal samples taken, doctors special eye examing tools, etc. he tries to lick the vet the whole time. The vet he usually sees, is very competent, her vet-tech/assistant is a battle axe kind of woman, though she is a sour-puss even she reluctantly smiles before we leave. The staff do not make much over Tucker. I often feel his carrying on in the waiting room and drawing so much attention is a nuisance to them. It's tough having a rock star dog.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are angelic; even Teddy. I think they thought I was telling porkies when I said he could be aggressive, because he let them take blood wothout any restraint being necessary.

The larger of my two springers used to be a nightmare, because , as soon as she set foot in the vets' yard, she would lie down. She was a very large springer and somehow managed to stick to the ground like a limpit, so vet visits were a two person operation. She always saved some wee for the consulting room and when she had her spay, they begged us to collect her early, as she went mad , if any personnel went near her pen.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My cavs like going to the vet because I give them yummy treats before, during and after anything uncomfortable happens to them.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)