Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog might have had a stroke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are based in Ireland let me know as I can perhaps recommend a vet in your area.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. Will pass it on to my sister.

He's doing fine today anyway, except not eating much (he doesn't eat much anyway), hopefully it won't happen again or very often

Karlin, she's based in Galway.

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching Animal Planet last week and there was a weimaraner that had a stroke. She couldn't stand up at all. Her head was swaying back and forth, it was heartbreaking. It took her many weeks to get over it, so it doesn't sound as if your sisters dog had a stroke.
    Sharon, proud Mom of Scout (tri) and Breeze (Newfie)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is any of these conditions, it will likely happen again, unfortunately. If it happens, let me know and I will try to get a vet who is aware of how to check for these things if you'd like. Her vet *definitely* should be informed about the fact that episodic falling syndrome, syringomyelia, and epilepsy are all known breed health issues in cavaliers. I believe the current copy of the Irish Vet Journal has an article on syringomyelia in cavaliers, as well.

Please have her inform the breeder as well about this initial incident and check back to inform him/her if this is diagnosed in future. The parents should NOT BE BRED if it is any of these things so it is very impirtant for the breeder to know there's been a suspicious incident like this. A stroke in a puppy especially in winter would be extremely unlikely (heat might cause probems if it were very hot but heat stroke is also unlikely in Ireland).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com