• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cavalier calendar

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to say that so many visitors to my home have remarked on how beautiful the fundraiser calendar is -- both the overall design and the individual pictures of the dogs. Everyone thinks they are professionally done images!!

Thaks again to Duncan's Ma who organised this and to all who contributed pictures and bought calendars -- you have already helped several cavaliers find new lives. :) :flwr:

Karlin, Thank you so Much...I am so glad we are helping. Maybe this year somehow in the calendar we can send out a list of the dogs we helped.

As I changed the month on the calendar this morning, I began to think about the 2008 calendar. I think we have a couple of options.

1.The same as this past year and poll for all of the pictures at the same time (In October).

2.Quarterly polls beginning now – Oct-Dec(Poll Now), Jan-Mar (Poll in April), April – June (Poll in July), July-Sept (Poll in October) Then I can order in Nov.

What does everyone think?

Also, Karlin, is there a better place on the board to do the calendar other than the gen gallery that everyone might see a little better? I know some people missed out because of the location.

I know it is strange to think about it this far in advance, but I think it may get bigger this year and I want to be able to manage it.

I think having quarterly polls would give more people an opportunity to enter and is a great idea! There are so many new members that join regularly that it gives everyone a seasonal opportunity to be included. Also, it can help build up steam over the year and increase the profits for rescue.

Is it possible to preorder or would that be too much trouble? I would definitely sign up and gather several of my cavie loving nonmembers to buy some too. If we could pre order, everyone could do some local grassroot efforts to build the demand. Also, people could send in their check ahead of time so you won't have to front any money out of pocket ;) I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have a tendancy to do things big!! :lol:

I can create a little forum in the gallery section if you'd like.

The other thing to consider is to go through a local printer who might be able to give a better price break. Also if the calendar is done by say Oct-Nov then it is likely I can get a box to post from Ireland to folks over here, or can have the calendar done over here which would reduce postage costs too. I am usually in the US at least once between Oct-Dec.

A calendar forum would be great!! Thank you!

I don't know about pre order and local printing...I will have to tackle those issues as the year gets a little older. With my hubby and I likely moving mid year I would have to find a printer in my new home but that shouldn't be hard to research this summer. Fortunately, that piece can wait. I may also call Shutterfly and see if they have any deals for non-profit organizations. Karlin is Irish Cavalier Rescue set up as a non-profit for donation purposes? I don't know how international non-profits work but maybe they can do something.

We can begin ordering earlier this year but because we used paypal and not personal checks the money upfront was not a problem. I may collect personal checks from those in the US this year to avoid paypal service charges.

Once Karlin has the forum set up I will post a request for Oct-Dec pictures. We can vote on them at the end of this month.

I would prefer not to use Shutterfly again - I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the printing - some of the photos are blurred, and I know the originals were not.

This is something I've experienced previously with Shutterfly too...

I think Karlin's suggestion of approaching a printer is a good one - it might be worth getting some printed in the US and some in the Uk and/or Ireland, to save shipping costs.

I certainly will look into any other avenues we can find for printing, but I can tell you that the Shutterfly pics that were blurred were because some of the pictures I received were not large enough fro printing by Shutterfly and I had to use MS Publisher to enlarge the pixel sizes for printing.

Perhaps if we are choosing photos throughout the year people will have access to the origingal .jpg files and we won't have this problem again.

I will certainly look for other printing options but at $10/calendar this really maximized our donation. Maybe I can find it cheaper and now I have a whole year to looK!

Just an additional idea--the Golden Retriever forum I belong to does their calendar contest monthly--much the way our Cavalier Theme contest is done. One advantage to that is it might be easier to collect and remember to take pictures having to do with the current month theme (Feb.--Valentines/Love) than having to go back and dig for appropriate pictures for each month...did that make sense?

Just a thought... :)

I loved how the calendar turned out and think Shutterfly did a good job. They provided a quality product and service at a very reasonable price of ten bucks.

Photos that look crystal clear and sharp in a normal 4x6 or 3x5 size can appear grainy or out of focus when enlarged. That's not anyone's fault, just a nature of the beast, so to speak. Pro photographers use special equipment and settings to allow their photos to look good when enlarged, but most of us are just amateurs trying to capture our pup's personality in a pic.

The only thing I'd like to see included in next year's calendar is a pic of one of my pups! Of course, I'd have to submit a pic for that to happen!

Thanks for all of the time and effort you put into this project, Ashley. I enjoy my calendar every day. I especially like knowing that my purchase helped rescue efforts. Good job!

Me too, Joanne. Since I joined after the first of the year I didn't have a chance. Just found you guys a little too late.

If there is enough interested for another batch of 25 I'm sure Ashley could get them for you, but I think the min was 25 to get them at the price that we did.

P.S Ashley - well done for sorted the calenders - I'll put myself up for UK Postlady again for next year 2008

Perhaps some pics may have been blurred on some calendars rather than being a comment on all calendars generally -- this can happen in the way they are doing their printing process which is I presume a photocopy process rather than offset printing.

The main point was just that if you get up over a certain volume the prices would be a lot lower from a printer running an offset process which means calendars would be cheaper while still enabling a contribution. :) But it means finding a good printer.

I thought the quality was great on the calendars. More just an issue of cost reductions on volume.

I'd be interested in a 2007 calendar, if we could meet the minimum order. I'm looking forward to the 2008 process! Brainstorming ideas already! What an awesome idea!

The minimum is 25 and they still won't be as cheap as when I ordered 75, but 25 brings the cost down significantly. I would certainly be willing if we can get the order together.

It would be nice to get Karlin an additional hundred dollars or so.

The price for a calendar is $25

If I can compile a list of 25 names from this thread on Sunday I will send out paypal requests. If we can not get 25, I guess I will just encourage you all to get involved for next year. We will start the 2008 process soon!!

Back