• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hard of hearing???

Mabes

Our cavie seems to be very hard of hearing in his left ear. Its almost as though he chooses when he wants to hear and when he doesnt. You can call for hours and hours being only a few feet away from him and he wont even budge. But then he hears the SLIGHTEST of noises, like my mom pulling into the driveway when she comes home from work. Anybody else see this in their cavies? :sl*p:

We swear our lab new when my husband was a block away in his car! She always went to the window or lay by the front door. He did not arrive home the same time every night either! Spooky. She eventually was hard of hearing - but I read in one of my cavalier books this week, they tend to play hard of hearing more so than other breeds! It's the Prince and Princess in them!

oh wow see my mom thinks he just ignores us to get attention. so that we call for him more and more! i guess she is right!!!

My older one is hard of hearing; it's obvious when we come in and she doesn't move a muscle until we touch her. But she always seems to be aware of when I go into the kitchen in the middle of the night to get water and comes in hoping for a treat.

I thought Monty, who's 11 was going deaf, but now think he sleeps more deeply , as he's fully aware when awake. Joly, 3, has selective deafness, enhanced by closed eyes: If he can't see you, he can't hear you and evn more important, you can't see him.

Toby can act very deaf. You can call him and call him and he will totally ignore you. But if you rustle the food bag or something like that or try and prepare food then he is right there. But if you call him or something he refuses to listen. I've just come to the conclusion he is subborn, as sometimes if you call him he might turn round and look at the then turn back and I swear he puts his nose in the air to say 'I know you want me to do something but I don't!' icon_whistling

well tonight we got back from the movies and were making a LOT of noise coming in the door, and frodo is sitting there eating his food! he didnt go crazy until i tapped him on the bum and he realized we were home. I wouldnt think this was out of the ordinary if it werent for the fact that he always knows when someone comes home just from them pulling into the driveway.

thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better to know that it might be the breed....

We had one like that; acted like she was deaf. So good at it, in fact, that we had her hearing tested at a show that had a hearing clinic. Turned out that she had selective hearing (our daughter had that for a while in her teens :roll: ). After we found that out, she figured out that we weren't falling for it anymore and her hearing came back.

You might have the vet look at him to rule out something like an ear infection. The vet can tell you where you can go to get his hearing tested if need be. The test is fairly simple and doesn't take long.

Bruce H said:
Turned out that she had selective hearing (our daughter had that for a while in her teens :roll: ).

My dh still hasn't grown out of it... LOL! icon_whistling

I hope everything is okay with your pup... love the avatar btw... cute glasses! Looks very smart!

Merry has been driving me crazy the last few weeks. We have a lot of snow and the temperatures are well below freezing. The dogs love the snow, but I cannot get Merry to come back in, until she is good and ready.

Two different scenarios occur. I call her and she can see me and turns around and runs the other way. Or a I call her and she keeps doing what she wants in the snow. No response from her. icon_whistling - Last night she pulled both moves on me. I am standing in the open doorway freezing and she won't come in.

She is not deaf. Even when I calling her, I have to laugh - Girls - they do whatever they want. ;)

When I'm calling the dogs in, both Geordie and Chocolate respond to a whistle and come running. But India can't seem to hear it. Colin recently discovered that she hears when you clap your hands really loud - then she comes running like a streak! Maybe it's time for a hearing test.

Thanks for the responses

we've mentioned to his vet before that we think he might be slightly deaf, but unfortunately she didnt know what to say, because he responded to her tests. I do believe, like you guys are saying, that it is just selective hearing :roll:

I have to do the same thing, Cathy, but I usually end up banging on the chair/table or whatever I'm sitting at to get his attention. Sometimes he will just start barking for no reason, and its the loudest, toughest bark i've ever heard! Calling at him doesnt work so i end up clapping or hitting the couch and that gets his attention!

Well I guess its a mystery that might never be solved... :lol:

Testosterone??? Sounds like lots of human men I know!! I made my husband get his hearing checked once. The dr even told him that he bet his wife had sent him. Seems that men have trouble hearing "certain frequencies" that usually include the higher pitch of most women's voices.

Doga and men. Whattaya do?

Back