• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tornadoes in Central Florida

Joanne M

CNN is reporting devastating tornadoes moving across Central Florida. 14 reported dead and the tornadoes are moving east at 45 miles per hour. I'm going back to the news, the county I heard the reports on were Lakeland County.

Karlin I apologize if this post does not belong here. I got frightened because I know we have board members in Florida.

There seem to be an unusual amount of tornadoes recently. This is the second episode of the ripping through the northern part of the state withing the past 1 month (the last was on Christmas day). It was especially bad this time because the twister hit at night when everyone was sleeping. Thankfully, we are safe here in Tampa. But I do worry about the people on this forum who are further north.

I'm watching it on TV right now....it looks like the area around Lady Lake was hit very bad. I hope all of our forum family down there are OK!

Smack dap in the middle. Look to be about 30 miles south of Ocala. (I am the map queen when I am at work.) :flwr:

I am deathly afraid of tornadoes! I grew up in New Orleans, and have been through many hurricanes, but at least you have warning. I leave hurricane central and move to tornado alley.:yikes I seriously freak out at the first mention of tornadoes on the news here. Made sure we had a house with a basement .

Thanks for letting us know - sending positive thoughts to all our Florida members - hope you're all safe and well, I guess you won't have power for a bit but let us know when you can...

Take care everyone :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I hope that MB in Bermuda is ok too...I think they have lost power :(

Yep..Doggymom is right now enroute to local SPCA here in St. Petersburg to help with the first load of dogs being brought back to this facility from the Sumter County SPCA facility that was apparently devastated by the storm.

Momma is a FEMA Certified active member of DART and got the call for help for this rescue effort shortly after noon today (EST). She has already been told that they were unable to get all the dogs in one trip so she may have to go back for a second load yet this evening. :drivecar:

Apparently they have two females in the first load that just had litters yesterday so she may stay back with them. I'm expecting the call for her agenda for the next 12 hrs or so any minute.

You are all in our thoughts are prayers. :flwr: Please have a safe trip Doggymom.

oh my goodness, that does sound scary! Take care all those in Florida.
I am glad that people still think of the animals in need in such times.

Hope everyone is OK in Florida.

Doggydad and Doggymom: God bless you for jumping in to help.

My heart just goes out to all of the people, and their pets, that were hurt or killed in this awful event.

molly said:
Hope everyone is OK in Florida.

Doggydad and Doggymom: God bless you for jumping in to help.

Dm gets all the credit. She's back for the night :luv: but sounds like will have to go back to the damaged shelter over the weekend. Now if I can just keep her from bringing them all home. :roll:

That is so good to know there are such wonderful people helping the dogs down there in Florida!

I hope all you Floridians are safe

Doggymommy and daddy how wonderful its to know that there are people out there who care and love for animals at all times

:updte:

Doggymom & all other local volunteers currently on standby until the damaged areas have been cleared by authorities. Many folks have lost their lives in this terrible storm and the area still hasn't been cleared for routine animal rescue efforts as of 9:00 AM (EST) today.

The head of our local SPCA with help managed to get all of the dogs out of the SPCA facility in Sumpter County on Friday because it was destroyed and they had to be translocated to another facility but now everyone has to wait for the authorities to clear the area for the resue of the lost and injured pets.

All of the families effected by this disaster are in our hearts and prayers.

thanks for the update doggydad!

It's just awful to think about - I hope they are able to get the animals out of there soon!!

*HUGZ* and prayers to all floridians!

Back