Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is gracie a puppy mill dog???

Post Thanks / Like

sounds a very odd story - a woman travelling across the Atlantic ocean to bring back litters of puppies?

What a horrible and terrifying journey for them too. Sounds like she is buying them cheaply at puppy farms and selling them on purely for profit.

Not being funny, but why did you purchase a puppy without seeing the mother ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a very common occurence actually.

Also very common for them to go over to the UK by ferry -- the single biggest market for Irish puppy farm imports. Often stuffed into a van; the RSPCA has many stories of having to put down puppies in terrible shape from such transport. At least the airlines will manage them properly and assure they have water and food and proper crating.

Lots of people will buy a puppy from a reputable breeder without seeing the pup's parents in person, especially in a country as large as the US -- the problem is this type of broker is very adept at presenting himself as reputable and caring. So are many backyard breeders in N. America, the UK -- basically anywhere in the world. The puppies usually cost just that bit less but the people will assure the buyer they are from good breeders, usually saying a relative breeds them and thus they have a special direct line to quality puppies. This is always untrue. No reputable breeder sells puppies through third party brokers and releases entire litters to be sold abroad. It takes a while to learn all the tricks they employ to decieve buyers but after a while you get used to them. I am working on a site that exposes some of these tricks and claims about irish cavaliers in particular, to help buyers in Irelnd and abroad.

Travelling isn't all that traumatic --and puppies probably travel easier than adults that are not crate trained as they are generally in a puppy pile, and just sleep. The problem is that many are already generally sickly and have not had adequate vet care and often they are underage too -- under 8 weeks. No one really checks and vets are easily found to rubberstamp the process for a fee. Many vets actually do not care a whole lot about the morality of this business and seem to be clueless on the genetics of breeding as well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

This person could very well have been at least caring. He had his own Cavalier, who was eleven years old, and we could tell he loved her. There were only four puppies and the man was Irish, he had a strong accent. He said that his own Cavalier, Casey, came from the same family line, which could very well have been true. He said that she was probably Grace's second cousin. Also, though there is no way to know for sure, he mentioned that he has given his grandchildren some of the puppies. The person obviously loved Cavaliers, which is a good thing. If Ireland is his home country, then he probably didn't visit just for Cavaliers. The puppies were well groomed and the man knew a lot about Cavaliers. Now this could very well have been totally bogus, And he didn't say Grace would be good for breeding just because of the mark. He said that he liked Grace's personality and thought it would be good in future puppies, but also said it was our decision. He says that the puppies "love anything that move" which means the car. And Grace loves rides in the car. He also had already taken them to get their shots and told us which shots they had not taken yet.
    Even if the man was doing this out of greed or didn't know enough about Cavaliers, there is no doubt that he cared about Cavaliers. The night we got her, he called and asked us how she was doing. Even if Grace didn't come from a good source, she is healthy and happy and I love her. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.
    So you see what I mean when I said that she was very healthy looking and clean, here's a picture of her right after we took her home. We didn't brush her or groom her or bathe her in any way so this is how she looked when we saw her for the first time:

Face shot and:

body shot
    Does she look sick? No! Is she sick? Maybe. Does she look groomed and cared for? Yes! Was she? Most likely. But then, there may be no way to know for sure. I'll try to convince my parents to take her to a cardiologist. Their main concern was the price, but maybe we can find a less expenisve cardiologist in our area. Thanks for telling me. I'm glad that there isn't much of a chance that she had a horrific past. I'm especially glad that she's one of the lucky puppies who has a caring family.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you live... But CKCSC,USA club shows often have cardiologist health clinics for 25-30 dollars (13 shows per year). I wouldn't expect a young healthy looking dog to have an immediate issue. But for that same investment.... I does bring some peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweetie....It doesn't really matter where little Gracie came from at this point. What matters is you love her and will take good care of her and I know she loves you too. She is very pretty, BTW. Maybe your Mom and Dad will decide to get her to a cardiologist to be checked at some point. She is very lucky to have you to love and take care of her.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Mic Guest

Awww....what a doll! I love puppy pictures. Do you have any current ones of her? It certainly sounds like you're giving Gracie a wonderful home life. Just continue doing so, along with regular vet check ups. Also, keep on educating yourself on breed specific health issues so that if Gracie ever does show signs of a problem, you can detect it early and bring it to your vet's attention.

Thanks for sharing those cute photos!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    Sweetie....It doesn't really matter where little Gracie came from at this point. What matters is you love her and will take good care of her and I know she loves you too. She is very pretty, BTW. Maybe your Mom and Dad will decide to get her to a cardiologist to be checked at some point. She is very lucky to have you to love and take care of her.
    I would have to agree wholeheartedly with what Shay said. Its a done deal now and she most definately is so pretty and obviously you love her very much. Regardless of where she came from, she is in obvious loving hands now who will tackle any problems IF they arise. Next time, by reading the information here, you will know how to check a breeder out.

Post Thanks / Like

gracie is precious, and i love her name. glad you found each other. i hope you don't think i was saying you should have any regrets! how could you regret having such a sweet little lovebug?

I'm going to take zack to a low cost club sponsored cardiology clinic in May.

My vet did her internship in small animal cardiology under stephen ettinger and still works with him at the California Animal Hospital during the part of the week she's not at the clinic where i take zack. She loves being a general practice vet but maybe she is better than some general vets at hearing murmurs because of her background and experience. still, i'm going to take him to the breed club sponsored clinic. i was so happy to see one scheduled for my area. they've always been too far away before.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent my mom an email about why taking Grace to a cardiologist is important and why puppy mills are cruel. Then I'll look up cardiologists in the area and find one close to home. Hopefully, my parents will relent or I'll offer to pay for part of it. I want Grace to have long and happy life without pain because she's such a wonderful puppy who didn't mean to be born susceptible (sp?) to heart issues.
    I posted a whole bunch of pictures in the Puppy Pictures forum. Here's the link: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6590

Post Thanks / Like

Grace,

Sydney and Ruby here. If you want to educate your new owners on Cavaliers like Ruby and I, I would highly recommend you have your new Mom bring you to Williamsburg Virginia the weekend of March 2, 3, and 4th. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, Cavaliers of the South will be holding their annual meeting and show. They will also have health clinics and you can get your eyes and heart tested by a certified cardiologist and opthomologist who know about Cavaliers. In addition, you new owners can talk to lots and lots of Cavaliers owner and breeders and they can find out more than they will ever want to know about us cute little Cavaliers. Click on the link below to find out more. Good Luck.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia

http://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/ckcscevt....D?OpenDocument