• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When it's way below zero

Remali

We're really getting socked with some bitter cold here, and the next few nights are going to get as cold as 15 below zero, with windchills as bad as 30 below or more. Obviously I'm concerned about taking my dogs outside to go potty, even tho they can go right outside of my patio doors....it is just so cold. So I am thinking of just having them go potty on puppy pads. Does anyone else do this that lives where it gets so dangerously cold?

We always took our dog outside but you'll find they want right back in....don't let them stay out long in extremes of any sort.

Ours always did their business quite quickly in very cold weather. :)

That's very true...when we went out today we were maybe out there for 60 seconds!

Lucky hates the cold and snow. it hasn't even gotten that cold here but he does such a patetic act in the snow. He starts limping ... I'd be concerned but it is ONLY in the snow ...

But he sure is quick. It is weather like this that I wish I had him cross-trained on the pads, but when I remember back to his puppy days when he could not go out, I am happy not to have to worry about the pads and clean up anymore. His intentions were great but aim wasn't very good ...

Thinking warm thoughts for you and the boys Renee :flwr:

LOL, I know what you mean Lani! Bentley's intentions are good, but he sure isn't good at aiming! And Bailey just has no clue about the puppy pads at times, altho he hits the general area, sort of. :?

Yep, we're getting the same weather. Bitter, bitter cold; by our thermometer right now it's six degrees below zero and expected to go much lower. We have really been spoiled up til now with the warm weather. We send all our dogs outside and they do just fine...... For about 2 minutes. Then they want in. It's amazing how quick they get when the weather is really cold. My ongoing nightmare is to forget one of the dogs outside, so when they have all been out together, I count noses at least twice when they come in.

I guess I would try sending your dogs out and see how they do. They may surprise you with how quick they can get done with business. If you stop and think about it, you could last a couple minutes outside without a coat; you may get cold, but it certainly wouldn't be anything close to life or health-threatening. And dogs are much better equipped than we are for the outdoors. Just keep a real close eye on them.

Our temp is expected to be 0 today with windchills of 30-50 below. My pups don't seem to mind it too much..they do come in a bit quicker though then when the weather is better. I too like Bruce count noses a few times to make sure everyone comes back in!

It's bitter cold here as well. My 3 were sitting at the back door just now wanting to go out. They never made it off the deck, they turned around and eagerly came in after less than a minute. Brrrrrr!

Use a coat or a sweater if you can.

It was 13 below this morning--the dogs went out, did their business and tore right back into the house! :lol:

Bella loves romping in the snow, but with these extreme temperatures we're having it's hard to even get her to go out. And she doesn't waste any time. I don't have to worry about her staying out too long, lol.

Wow, it's only 10 below here this morning. Thank you for the advice, my dogs are doing great....we go outside on the leashes, and they're done going potty in about a minute! I have a fleece-lined coat for my Poodle, he always seems to be cold, but my Cavalier always seems to be warm with all of his hair, so far he is doing fine, altho I'd like to get a coat for him too.

Back