Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biting and growling

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Em, any luck with the biting? Hope Ollie's behaving himself now.
    Mum to Bella - Blenheim cavalier born 12/9/2006 and Stryder (at the bridge 18.2.07)

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know how old Ollie is, but my 9 wk old has just started this. I find it happens right before she is going to crash - sort of like a baby that needs to wail to let the stress out before it falls asleep.

As well, I just took Kodee out the front door today and at first it went well then she just went nuts - running in circles, got herself tangled - here she is on a 6' lead and me like an idiot couldnt even catch her, wow she can somersault any which way she wants to avoid me! Personally, I find they are actually frustrated at this point - they are tired, but want to play, they get excited but scared of the new or big open spaces - a little too much all at once syndrome.

I like the suggestion of carrying treats and distracting with a request and then reward - after about 3 attempts if it keeps up - i'd go in for a bit. I find the best time to go out is after a nap when they are still a bit groggy and not as easily excited since they are relaxed. I think the hardest part is to remind yourself they are a puppy - cause it almost seems to us that they dont like us at that moment. But alas they settle down later and only want a cuddle so we know better