Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default sodium and SM diets

I was reading some human SM sites today and came cross a site created
    by a young woman with SM. In her tips for coping with SM, she reminds
    people to eat a low sodium diet because salt increases the CSF
    pressure and increases pain for people with SM. This makes sense when
    you think how salt intake is linked to blood pressure -- and if blood
    pressure rises, so does the pressure at which the CSF circulates.

This has made me rethink the diet I give Leo. I don't add any salt to
    the cooked diets I make the dogs and of course it isn't there in the
    raw items they get, but I will be checking all treats and food
    packaging and be especially careful with tinned mackeral and
    sardines, which I often give the dogs (say once a week). I won't be
    giving the fish in brine.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Very good tip, Karlin. I don't use salt in anything either (even for the humans - they are allowed to add lo-salt later if they wish) but I have been buying tuna in olive oil for the dogs for some time now - far better for their coats too

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin,

Also look for the ones in Spring Water, even the ones in oil contain salt sometimes depending on brand, and think of those extra calories in the oil as well!

The ones in Spring Water contain neither of these, salt or extra calories.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wouldn't think that a 1/4 tin of tuna in oil once a week (on vet recommendation) would really do much damage to their weight tbh.

If you buy a good brand there shouldn't be any added salt either

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is very hard to find the spring water fish here. The oil is extremely fattening, it's true, and is veg oil as well so not heart healthy fish oil. As I split a tin of sardines between three dogs the small amount of oil is I think good for their coats but I wouldn't empty a full tin of oil for a single dog, I'd drain it.

I always feed mackeral or sardines -- I don't give tuna -- I know it is OK in small amounts but still has mercury in higher concetrtions than any other fish, plus it is intensively fished and one of the species under serious threat, such a magnificent fish and ends up in a little tin. I just don't trust how dolphin safe tuna fishing methods are either though many of the boats are supposed to use release nets. (I studied initially to be a marine biologist hence I know far too much about this stuff and probably care too much about it...). Line caught tuna I'll eat but only good fishmongers have it. I actually think I am just going to start grilling a mackeral fillet once a week for the boys s we hve an excellent fish place nearby and I always get one for myself each week.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin

I always feed mackeral or sardines -- I don't give tuna -- I know it is OK in small amounts but still has mercury in higher concetrtions than any other fish
    I was also informed about the mercury content in tuna, glad I avoided it and stuck with the sardines!

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that Karlin - I'm very careful about salt in their diet - prob from having a dog affected with MVD previously

It's worth mentioning to check the amount of salt in kibble - a good quality one such as the Natural Dog Food Company/Burns/James Wellbeloved has low amounts, but some of the lower quality brands add salt to encourage the dog to eat it...

I checked the sardines in spring water and they showed the same level of salt as those in oil in my supermarket? Maybe different brands vary?
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find different brands do vary, I found the shops "own brands" had the salt in them more than the others.

Hadn't thought about the kibble before.... it's a huge job finding a good food for the dogs, a lot to think about with salts, fats, fillers etc.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

Hubby and I had an argument about this the other day. He brought home six small tins of tuna in brine and a tin of sardines in sunflower oil and mackerel in sunflower oil. I said that we shouldn't really give these to the dogs, hubby said "Nonsense woman!" so we have now agreed that their fish will be bought FRESH in Howth and steamed . Do you think that is a good idea? or should I cook it some other way and maybe add something ???

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire L
    so we have now agreed that their fish will be bought FRESH in Howth and steamed . Do you think that is a good idea?

Wow 5* treatment or what!!!! ..... we will all be over for dinner

A fantastic way to cook fish, retaining all thoses fresh vitamins and minerals, what a super dog mum you are x

Alison.