• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

urgent!post neutering problem!

amia

joey was neuterd wednesday and hes been doing really well until!the skin that was left after he was done looks like it has fluid in it.i only just noticed this as he wouldnt really let us have a proper look.we rang the vet and he can see him tomorrow and said aslong as his gums are nice and pink and hes not lethargic or in pain he should be ok for tomorrow.

i checked him this afternoon and the skin had shriveled so i breathed a sigh of releif BUT!!!!!i checked him just now and it was shriveled but as i held him up me and my mam could see it filing up again!!!!!like a water balloon!!!

should i be panicing??????is this normal???advise very very welcome!!

It sounds like a wound that isn't draining (like happens with a blister). I would just consider what the vets told you -- unless you see the signs they mentioned, then he should be fine til you can get him in tomorrow. I assume they left you a number for an emergency vet that can be contacted if you do see worrying signs?

It is normal for there to be some swelling for several days after a neuter. It normally takes days or even a week or two for the swelling to go down. Sounds normal to me.

from marvistavet.com:

WHAT CAN I EXPECT UPON DISCHARGE FROM THE HOSPITAL?

The scrotum is often swollen in the first few days after surgery, leading some people to wonder if the procedure was really performed. If the dog is immature at the time of neutering, the empty scrotum will flatten out as he grows. If he is mature at the time of neuter, the empty scrotum will remain as a flap of skin. Sometimes the incision is mildly bruised but this is not unduly sore for the dog and pain relief is almost never necessary post neuter. Most male dogs are eager to play by the day after surgery but, to keep the incision intact, it is best to restrict the dog from boistrous activity.

thanx karlin for replying! i was freaking a bit when i checked him before! :yikes it does look like a draining issue.theres definitely fluid there.

is this a common thing?

thanx again xx

Back