Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeeky Toys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squeeky Toys

I read somewhere this weekend that toys with squeekers arent good for Cavaliers as if they chew through to the squeeker they may choke on it. Has anyone else heard this or can confirm this is true and squeeky toys shouldnt be given to Cavaliers? Im been buying toys for Ellie (she is coming in 12 days!!!) and every stuffed animal toy I bought comes with a squeeker inside. I have been searching high and low for ones that dont to no avail. Im thinking Ill have to buy her some human ones soon if this squeekers thing turns out to be true. Also what other toys should I buy? She has nylabones and a lot of squeeky stuffed animals. She also has that squirrel toy with the tree. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!
    Jasmine, mommy to Ellie (tri girl), Griffin, Hunter, & Dexter (kitties)

Ellie is here!!!!

http://elliethecavalier.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

This is true of any dog, not just cavaliers. If you see your dog tearing open any toy, I would quickly take it away as any small bit can be harmful (small rubber peices, squeakers, cotton stuffing, fabric). If Ellie turns out to be a majorly destructive chewer, stick with things that are marked for tough chewers, like Nylabones. We are having a lot of success with Izzy and these. She hasn't gotten through one yet.

Good luck with your new addition!
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like

Kosmo is a chewer too so I've been there before.

I think Ellie should be fine with whatever squeaky toy you give her just as long as you're with her while she plays with it. If she starts tearing it up, take it away. Kosmo is just now keeping his toys in 1 piece and I still have to take them away sometimes otherwise they'd all be garbage. Dogs can get blockages from parts of stuffed animals so it's important to keep close watch on them while they are playing with that kind of stuff. I'm sure you'll be fine!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

The Petstages line of doggie toys is good and they last with a chewer. They are the only toys we have that still look new after more than 2 years with 4 dogs.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Some squeaky toys don't have squeakers, the squeaker is molded into the plastic, it doesn't detach. Dr Noys Toys have replaceable squeakers. They are pretty durable. It depends on the dog. You have to supervise pretty closely until you see if your dog will rip a toy open. Zack has never been one to rip toys open or destroy them. He loves to chew and "viciously" attack his toys and make them cry (i.e. squeak) but he has most of his toys that he's had from the day i got him a year ago, including rope toys and squeaky toys, and they are all still in tact. Belle on the other hand will shred anything, she is smaller and has the sweetest gentlest little personality, but she is so destructive of toys--and paper towels and toilet paper roles and sox and what have you. Like, i put a new jacket on Zack and she immediately started tearing into the fur trim on the hood while he was wearing it. On the other hand, Belle can chew a nylabone without hurting herself, while zack bites off little pieces and could swallow them so i don't give him nylabones. I mean the non-edible ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm still careful of what toys I leave out for my cavs to play with, and they are 3.5 and 4 years old. Geordie is the reason. Most of their toys are in a basket out of reach and they can play with them only when I'm home. We have some toys I know they will never chew, so I leave a few of those out, swapping them with other 'safe' ones every so often.

The squeeky toys are out of their reach unless we're playing fetch. I worry about Geordie chewing and swallowing them.

Also, they never have chews (like bully sticks) unless I am supervising them. Too worried about choking (or possible fighting between Geordie and India.)

I leave lots of nylabones donw for them to chew on. Once the rounded ends are chewed off, I replace them.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

So far, we've had good luck with Gracie's plush toys. She has a shearling sheep, a loofah dog and a stuffed moose from Target. Ocassionally she'll get a piece of fuzz from the sheep and mouth it until we realize. Anyway, she mouths things forever...she's a very graceful eater, I guess it carries over to her toys. Hopefully it'll stay that way...should we place bets on that?
    Lindsay, Andy and Gracie (our 11 month old Blenheim bundle of joy!)

Post Thanks / Like

Daisy LOVES her squeaky toys -- they are the only ones she will have anything to do with at all. She also will only play with furry, squeaky toys. Any plain ball or rubbery toy (with or without squeaker) is of absolutely no interest to her. She joyously brings her furry squeaky toys back to us, squeaking them constantly all the way. It's just not the same if they don't squeal while they're being eaten! She not only bites them, she shakes them violently to break their necks. I know most dogs do this sometimes, but she is really, really determined to kill them. She will reposition them in her mouth so she is holding them by the head or tail so she gets maximum swing with her head shakes. (She scored very high on assertiveness in the Puppy Aptitude Test I read about online. )

In fact, she has one mini-tennis ball with a woven loop attached to it that she plays with, and she will often hold the loop and shake it so hard that the tennis ball is bopping her very hard on both sides of her head. I think she has finally wised up and now only shakes it when holding it by the ball end. It worried me that she would get her ears inflamed with all the hits they were taking!

She is very hard on toys and has destroyed a couple plush toys within minutes and disemboweled them completely, removing the squeaker. The ones she is able to destroy are those very soft ones that are made out of the thinnish terrycloth material.

We have had very good luck with several plush toys, though, that are much tougher. We have two Beanie Baby plush dog toys (made especially for dogs), and one AKC brand toy, all of which we got at PetSmart. Those have taken TONS of abuse from our little hunter-killer and have stood the test of time. If they ever get holes, though, I'd take them away immediately because I know she would work on them till she got the squeaker out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tons of squeeker toys for Cicero... I am a firm believer that no matter what toy you give your dog, you should always have one eye on the dog/toy just to make sure all is safe. I am also not a believer of leaving toys in the kennel if I am going to be gone for a few hours, I just think that too much could happen in that short timespan.

I would also be careful with "human" plush toys... sometimes they are not always doggie safe materials...
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the advice I kinda figured I would just watch her and then take them away if she started to tear through to the squeeker itself. My husband's family has Labs and they chewed through those stuffed toys within days if not hours and they always ended up eating the squeeker but I guess with a big dog it doesnt matter as much which is why I was concerned since Cavaliers are a lot smaller. My question is what toys do I leave her with when I am out? I want her to have something to play with when Im gone and she is in her pen
    Jasmine, mommy to Ellie (tri girl), Griffin, Hunter, & Dexter (kitties)

Ellie is here!!!!

http://elliethecavalier.blogspot.com/