I agree that squeaky toys should only be used under supervision. Several years ago, I was at the vet when some people clected thier Yorkie, who had to be operated on , because he swallowed part of a plastic squeaky toy.
Having read of others' experinces and observed how Teddy can easily pull threads from a rope toy, I wouldn't leave a dog with these either, considering them even more of a risk. A breeder, on another list, was devasteated to hear that a puppy she sold to good owners, only weeks before, had died after swallowing part of the rope from one of those ball on a rope toys. The fibres tangled in his gut and cut into it. Other people have reported needing ops or having dogs gag becuse of swallowed fibre, too.
As a leave alone toy, I would suggest a soft toy with no squeak and a filling that is not wadding. We had some 'sheepskin' bones from Pets at Home, which were stuffed with large offcuts of the same fabric. Izzy used to love gutting the toy, but it was easy to mend again. The squeaks were easily removed and the toy sewn up again.
Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.