Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Male Cavvs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Male Cavvs!

I have always had female dogs. I would like to know if there is any bad things about having a male Cav.

We have had visitors male dogs pee on my husband's wheel chair

1. Do they pee on everything at home?

2. What do I need to know that would be different to having a female?
    Regards

Sharon (Sophie's Mother)
    In Sunny Australia

Post Thanks / Like

We've always had male dogs... our boy wasn't castrated till he was seven and the only difference was he felt it necessary of walks to wee on things even when there was no wee left
    I don't think there is much difference in cavs, only boys being bigger and i think sometimes a bit more of a wuss...

Post Thanks / Like

I am on my 5th male entire cavalier and had no problems. They are very loving. Out side yes they do like to mark every bush but they certainly dont do that inside.
    Norma
    Gabbie & Tilly

Post Thanks / Like

My male cav is great Never pees in house, but does feel the need to pee on everything outside (and same as Soma, even when there's no pee left!). He can bark a bit - he is going through a territorial phase at the moment and is barking constantly when he goes outside. He's not been castrated (though wish he had been cos he now has a huge testicular tumor ). He's brill tho

I'm in the opposite situation - I've never had a female dog, and I sometimes wonder what the difference would be.

Pepsi x

Mic Guest

I've had three male cavaliers and none were markers. Cappy is only 10.5 months so I'm not out of the woods yet, but so far, so good. My only female is a rescue/owner surrender who I got at 10 months, so I don't know if it's fair to compare her to those that came to me at 12 weeks BUT....she guards her food and is not nearly as lovey as my boys were/are. She can be really sweet and that tail of hers doesn't stop wagging, but I think she is struggling with alpha-issue - so that's not a boy/girl thing.

Boys generally cost a bit less (in the States) for some reason. Now that I've had both, I can't figure out why.

Post Thanks / Like

I hae two male cavies and a male shih tzu, and just got my first female cavie a week ago. I didn't know what heaven felt like until I got hugs and kisses from my boys. I have absolutely NO complaints about have a male, accept you can't buy all the cute pink frilly things (I am indulging in this and making up for lost time now with Zoey ) Cody was nuetered at 4 months old and still has yet to lift his leg on anything (he is still a squatter) Wesley marked new places, including homes we visited , but that is because he was neutered until he was 2 1/2 years old. As long as they are neutered, boy cavies are heaven on earth!!!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Kosmo is the best well-mannered dog I've ever had. He was neutered at 5 1/2 months when he started humping everything in site but I don't think that has anything to do with him now. At about 10 1/2 months he started lifting his leg outside but I don't think he'd EVER lift inside. He's the most loving little puppy ever and is a constant shadow to me and my OH. Wherever we are he has to be. He's very dependent on his humans though. Knowing what I do about Kos inparticular I would say not to choose the dog you want solely based on what sex it is. I know males are more 'looked down upon' because of ther marking tendencies but with proper training they can be the best dogs in the whole entire world.

I have a female now but I've not even had her for a week so I can't offer any advice on male/female differences. Someone else will have to help you there.
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked this question when the litter I was waiting for turned out all boys except one girl that the breeder wanted.

Most replies as I recall said, girls love you, boys are in love with you! I originally wanted a girl and ended up with a boy anf never looked back.

Here's the thread...
    http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/v...600&highlight=

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion there is no difference between the temperaments of male and female Cavaliers. Chester is the sweetest most loving and well-behaved little boy in the world and he still squats to pee! I know other Cavaliers (male and female) and all of them are just as sweet as pie.
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

A cavalier...is a cavalier...is a cavalier!! Jakey was my first and I couldn't have asked for a more loving boy. Shelby has a totally different personality. She's very sweet and loving but has a much more independent streak than Jake. I don't think it's a female thing though, I think it's more of a 2nd child thing.

I do have to watch Jake when we visit others because he does tend to mark. But....it's really not a big deal. You learn what his behaviors are. When he sidles up to something...I know he's getting ready to mark...and a quick correction of "ah ah" and the problem is nipped in the bud. He just needs to be reminded that it's not okay.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah