Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Male Cavvs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The issue with males marking tends not to arise in the owner's home if the dog is housetrained diligently, but often does for intact dogs when the dog goes to visit someone else's home. I have never yet had an entire male rescue dog, whether from good home or bad situation, who *didn't* raise his leg in the house (or at least try!) a few times. The majority of neutered males in my experience with rescues and friends' dogs don't tend to do this as visitors.

Marking is not just a male trait though; females also can mark especially when unspayed.

My males once past housetraining have never marked indoors at other people's houses. Both are neutered.

At bottom (pun intended) the issue is really a training issue and a management issue when visiting -- making sure you both are good guests!

Personally I absolutely love the boys.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, marking in our house isn't normally an issue with Jake. Although someone did pee on my door blinds. Jake!! But I think he did it because someone else had done it first and he was claiming our room as his own.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Although someone did pee on my door blinds.
    Phew! I thought you were going to say your husband! Unless he was the one who marked first?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, when we are outside, Toby has to mark everything that he can!
    Indoors, anywhere anytime, never, anywhere.
    As previously said, being a male, Toby doesn't love me - he adores me.
    Chloe loves me very much, but nowhere near as much as Toby does.

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two males Dudley & Darby, and I just adore them both and them likewise.

On a two different occasions Dudley has marked at another dog owners home. I now put a bellyband on him, he does not mark in our home I was a little worried about that before we brought Darby home but that has never ever been a issue in my home.

He is just stating his dominance while visiting.

I love having two boys and can't comment on little girls.

But my Darby follows me everywhere, absolutely everywhere.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Cathy, Charlie is much more dependant than Darla. Darla doesn't care if I'm home or not, I could leave her with a stranger and she wouldn't even notice.... But Charlie is very very VERY clingy. He's always at me feet and the best behaved dog ever. They are two very different personalities. But Charlie is my baby dog, hands down... But as I write this, Darla is wanting to come and lap... And here comes Charles... They get jealous of each other ( not in mean way... they just don't want to miss out on anything).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the opposite. We did have male dogs when I was a child, but I *was* a child (I'm talking six, here!) so I don't remember what it was like.

I prefer bitches for a number of reasons- I wanted a dog that would love me, and want to be with me, but not clingy to the point it was anxiety inducing. Both my pups (girls) love their cuddles, but they're happy to sit on the sofa too. Amber is more clingy than Holly, oddly enough, despite appearing so bold and cheeky at first!

Also, even though I knew that marking/humping etc are training issues and not exclusively male issues, I knew that they're rarer in girls. I also liked the fact that once spayed girls really are trouble free. I don't regret having two girls at all.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

I always had female dogs in the past. Riley is my first male dog. But I believe he may be in many ways my best dog. He has never peed on anything. Never marked in the house or outside the house, even on walks. He still squats to pee! And he is not at all clingy. He loves me and my hubby, but he does not need to be on me all the time and certainly has no problems when he is left with others and doesn't show any separation anxiety at all. He is quite independent and fearless, but still loves kisses and cuddles.
    I can't compare him with a female because he is my only dog at this point and i could only compare him with dogs I had in the past. (And none of them were Cavs. ) All i can say is that I love having my little male doggie, he is just the happiest, most fun, loving doggie I've ever had!
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

I am a girlie person myself. Pretty much for the same reasons as Lisa T.
    Not that I dont love Jeremy or anything. I find that you have to be more diligent with males and that you almost have to toilet train them twice. Once when you first get them home and then again when thet hit puberty, whether thry are desexed or not.That has been my experience anyway. People say they are more loving but I have yet to discover that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

mmm. well it seems most people love ALL Cavvies..

I don't know what it's like in other countries but is seems to be more males available, that is another reason I asked this question.

Thanks everyone
    Regards

Sharon (Sophie's Mother)
    In Sunny Australia