• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Male Cavvs!

Sharon 7

I have always had female dogs. I would like to know if there is any bad things about having a male Cav.

We have had visitors male dogs pee on my husband's wheel chair :grnyuk:

1. Do they pee on everything at home?

2. What do I need to know that would be different to having a female?

We've always had male dogs... our boy wasn't castrated till he was seven and the only difference was he felt it necessary of walks to wee on things even when there was no wee left :roll:
I don't think there is much difference in cavs, only boys being bigger and i think sometimes a bit more of a wuss...

I am on my 5th male entire cavalier and had no problems. They are very loving. Out side yes they do like to mark every bush but they certainly dont do that inside.

My male cav is great :) Never pees in house, but does feel the need to pee on everything outside (and same as Soma, even when there's no pee left!). He can bark a bit - he is going through a territorial phase at the moment and is barking constantly when he goes outside. He's not been castrated (though wish he had been cos he now has a huge testicular tumor :(). He's brill tho :)

I'm in the opposite situation - I've never had a female dog, and I sometimes wonder what the difference would be.

Pepsi x

I've had three male cavaliers and none were markers. Cappy is only 10.5 months so I'm not out of the woods yet, but so far, so good. My only female is a rescue/owner surrender who I got at 10 months, so I don't know if it's fair to compare her to those that came to me at 12 weeks BUT....she guards her food and is not nearly as lovey as my boys were/are. She can be really sweet and that tail of hers doesn't stop wagging, but I think she is struggling with alpha-issue - so that's not a boy/girl thing.

Boys generally cost a bit less (in the States) for some reason. Now that I've had both, I can't figure out why.

I hae two male cavies and a male shih tzu, and just got my first female cavie a week ago. I didn't know what heaven felt like until I got hugs and kisses from my boys. I have absolutely NO complaints about have a male, accept you can't buy all the cute pink frilly things (I am indulging in this and making up for lost time now with Zoey :lol:) Cody was nuetered at 4 months old and still has yet to lift his leg on anything (he is still a squatter) :D Wesley marked new places, including homes we visited :yikes, but that is because he was neutered until he was 2 1/2 years old. As long as they are neutered, boy cavies are heaven on earth!!!! *ng*l :lotsaluv:

Kosmo is the best well-mannered dog I've ever had. He was neutered at 5 1/2 months when he started humping everything in site but I don't think that has anything to do with him now. At about 10 1/2 months he started lifting his leg outside but I don't think he'd EVER lift inside. He's the most loving little puppy ever and is a constant shadow to me and my OH. Wherever we are he has to be. He's very dependent on his humans though. Knowing what I do about Kos inparticular I would say not to choose the dog you want solely based on what sex it is. I know males are more 'looked down upon' because of ther marking tendencies but with proper training they can be the best dogs in the whole entire world. :flwr:

I have a female now but I've not even had her for a week so I can't offer any advice on male/female differences. Someone else will have to help you there. ;)

In my opinion there is no difference between the temperaments of male and female Cavaliers. Chester is the sweetest most loving and well-behaved little boy in the world and he still squats to pee! I know other Cavaliers (male and female) and all of them are just as sweet as pie.

A cavalier...is a cavalier...is a cavalier!! Jakey was my first and I couldn't have asked for a more loving boy. Shelby has a totally different personality. She's very sweet and loving but has a much more independent streak than Jake. I don't think it's a female thing though, I think it's more of a 2nd child thing.

I do have to watch Jake when we visit others because he does tend to mark. But....it's really not a big deal. You learn what his behaviors are. When he sidles up to something...I know he's getting ready to mark...and a quick correction of "ah ah" and the problem is nipped in the bud. He just needs to be reminded that it's not okay.

The issue with males marking tends not to arise in the owner's home if the dog is housetrained diligently, but often does for intact dogs when the dog goes to visit someone else's home. I have never yet had an entire male rescue dog, whether from good home or bad situation, who *didn't* raise his leg in the house (or at least try!) a few times. The majority of neutered males in my experience with rescues and friends' dogs don't tend to do this as visitors.

Marking is not just a male trait though; females also can mark especially when unspayed.

My males once past housetraining have never marked indoors at other people's houses. Both are neutered.

At bottom (pun intended) the issue is really a training issue and a management issue when visiting -- making sure you both are good guests!

Personally I absolutely love the boys. :)

Oh yeah, marking in our house isn't normally an issue with Jake. Although someone did pee on my door blinds. Jake!! But I think he did it because someone else had done it first and he was claiming our room as his own.

Although someone did pee on my door blinds.

Phew! I thought you were going to say your husband! :rotfl: Unless he was the one who marked first? :rotfl:

Yep, when we are outside, Toby has to mark everything that he can!
Indoors, anywhere anytime, never, anywhere.
As previously said, being a male, Toby doesn't love me - he adores me.
Chloe loves me very much, but nowhere near as much as Toby does.

I have two males Dudley & Darby, and I just adore them both and them likewise.

On a two different occasions Dudley has marked at another dog owners home. I now put a bellyband on him, he does not mark in our home I was a little worried about that before we brought Darby home but that has never ever been a issue in my home.

He is just stating his dominance while visiting.

I love having two boys and can't comment on little girls.

But my Darby follows me everywhere, absolutely everywhere. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I agree with Cathy, Charlie is much more dependant than Darla. Darla doesn't care if I'm home or not, I could leave her with a stranger and she wouldn't even notice.... But Charlie is very very VERY clingy. He's always at me feet and the best behaved dog ever. They are two very different personalities. But Charlie is my baby dog, hands down... But as I write this, Darla is wanting to come and lap... And here comes Charles... They get jealous of each other ( not in mean way... they just don't want to miss out on anything).

I'm the opposite. We did have male dogs when I was a child, but I *was* a child (I'm talking six, here!) so I don't remember what it was like.

I prefer bitches for a number of reasons- I wanted a dog that would love me, and want to be with me, but not clingy to the point it was anxiety inducing. Both my pups (girls) love their cuddles, but they're happy to sit on the sofa too. Amber is more clingy than Holly, oddly enough, despite appearing so bold and cheeky at first!

Also, even though I knew that marking/humping etc are training issues and not exclusively male issues, I knew that they're rarer in girls. I also liked the fact that once spayed girls really are trouble free. I don't regret having two girls at all.

I always had female dogs in the past. Riley is my first male dog. But I believe he may be in many ways my best dog. He has never peed on anything. Never marked in the house or outside the house, even on walks. He still squats to pee! And he is not at all clingy. He loves me and my hubby, but he does not need to be on me all the time and certainly has no problems when he is left with others and doesn't show any separation anxiety at all. He is quite independent and fearless, but still loves kisses and cuddles.
I can't compare him with a female because he is my only dog at this point and i could only compare him with dogs I had in the past. (And none of them were Cavs. ;) ) All i can say is that I love having my little male doggie, he is just the happiest, most fun, loving doggie I've ever had!

I am a girlie person myself. Pretty much for the same reasons as Lisa T.
Not that I dont love Jeremy or anything. I find that you have to be more diligent with males and that you almost have to toilet train them twice. Once when you first get them home and then again when thet hit puberty, whether thry are desexed or not.That has been my experience anyway. People say they are more loving but I have yet to discover that.

mmm. well it seems most people love ALL Cavvies..

I don't know what it's like in other countries but is seems to be more males available, that is another reason I asked this question.

Thanks everyone :D

Back