• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dandruff.....

lily

lily has this & shows up alot obviousley on her black patches. Is this common??

thanks

It's probably just dry skin. I never noticed it until I got Zoey because she is all black so the flakes show better. I don't know how often you bath your babies, but doing it too often can dry out their skin.

You can try putting Fish oil in their food, which makes their coat really glossy because of the Omega 3's. I just get the pills from the health food store and mix it in with their kibble with either a tiny bit of peanut butter (not too much because it is REALLY fatty, but it makes the pillows go down easily) or with some pumpkin. My boys slurp them right up, but if they have trouble then just cut the gel tablet open and squeeze it on their food. ;) ;)

I also just read on this site that someone uses oatmeal in their food! I have yet to try it but I will let you know how it works!

IF you are bathing at home make sure you rinse really well b/c soap buildup or not getting it off totally will cause flax. We put flax seed oil over the digs food. They seem to eat it no trouble. I didn't have as much luck with the fish oil... I don't really blame them... lol

Definately recommend fish oil capsules, 3 per day. My boys love em and just eat them like a treat. Also brush everyday and when bathing (no more than once a fortnight at maximum the longer you can leave it the better) use an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner and as said before rinse well :)

Chocolate had dandruff last winter, and it took a few months to completely go away. We poke a hole in the fish oil gelcap and squirt it in their food.

Also, I use a shampoo from the vet for dry skin - Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo. It soothes dry skin, and on the bottle says it can be used weekly, although I only wash my dogs every 8 weeks or so. :flwr:

One of my old dogs had this problem and the vet recommended sunflower oil. A teaspoon in there feed. Apparently its better for dry skin than the fish oil. Her dandruff cleaned up within a week or 2.

My boys have a tendency to make mad dash for the litter box every time we open the door going into the garage...believe me, fish breath is an improvement!! :yuk: :lol: . When they eat the capsules it really doesn't affect their breath at all, but it has made a HUGE difference in their coat. They are also eating Wellness Fish and Potato formula, and I really haven't noticed a difference in their breathe for the worse.

lady had a little bit of dandruff when we first got her when we changed her to JWB it disappeared we also make sure we rinse her really well after a bath and only bath her once a month.

Back