• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coming into Season

Well much to our suprise Roxy came into season yesterday (7 months old). We had noticed recently that she was so much more attentive than usual and she wasn't quite as bothered about eating at meal times. I had taken her out for her long walk at night, and on the way back she decieded to stop in the middle of a road and lick her rear end, she then began wimpering as though she was trying to releive an itch or something. So I picked her up and carried her home as she didn't seem very happy. I put her down at home and she was fine by that time. I checked her rear and could see somthing on her nether regions which I took as mud and thought this must of been irritaing her. So i cleaned it off. A little later Roay was sat on the bed with us and I noticed blood on our bedsheets. I thought maybe I had scraped something at football earlier, but I hadn't so we checked her paws and then saw the blood on her underside.

Looking at her nether regions they have swelled up like a small dougnut...is this normal ?

How long does a season last ? and should we be doing anything extra to help ? (apart from keeping any randy male dogs away from her)

We are going to the vets tonight to just get her checked out as we will now also need to think about getting her spayed as our vets prefer to wait until after there first season.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Keep her in at all times - no walks. Supervise potty breaks in the garden. The swelling is perfectly normal and she will continue to bleed. It will last about three weeks but wait 28 days to be really safe. Good luck :flwr:

As noted, you will need to keep her inside for about 4 weeks now and probably cannot spay her for about 4 months -- vets usually want to wait til she is mid cycle again. You aren't just looking out for randy males but ANY males inlcuding neutered males, as they can be on her and tied (eg you cannot physically separate because of the way they mate) in mere seconds. It can be 30 minutes before they are able to separate! She cannot be offlead anywhere or left unwatched even in a garden as a large breed male can scale a 6 -7 foot wall easily to gain access to her -- she will now be sending out very attractive hormones that can carry for a mile or more. Are you also absolutely sure she won;t have been in contact with any males in the past week or so as she could possibly have been impregnated then; if she is swollen like this then she is probably at the very start of her heat.

Be sure to have a talk with the vet about exactly what you need to do. You might want to look for the special 'panties' they have for bitches in heat at most good pet shops -- she may be spotting blood as well and this can stain carpets/furniture.

The reason for waiting until mid cycle before having her spayed is so that she won't have problems with false pregancies. That's what our vet told us before we had Chocolate spayed.

Hi, thanks for all of your advice. Itsbasically what the vet has said to us tonight. We go out with her when she goes too the toilet so we are 100% sure no male dogs have been near her.

Thanks again for the help.

Back