• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Greenies!!

Claire L

Went into a pet shop in coolock today and what do you know, they had GREENIES on sale :jmp: so I bought two. Mind you, at €1.75 each for the tiny one and €9.45 for the large one, I think they are greatly overpriced.

Cara had hers gone in a flash but Minnie didn't seem to like hers at all; she prefers the Salami sticks from Lidl. Has anyone tried them and if so, are they OK to give as an occasional treat?

:flwr:

Claire - I can get 107 teenie greenies in the US for $20.40!! Here they are 1.50 per greenie. I can't believe how overpriced they are at some places!! Kind of makes you sick doesnt it?

Sara wrote:
Claire - I can get 107 teenie greenies in the US for $20.40!!

Sara~can you not buy them online and have them delivered to you? or would the taxes be too high??

:flwr:

I got them from www.dog.com and ordered enough greenies to feed a whole army. I got a box for me, Linda, my mom and my granny. They don't deliver to Canada and plus they are heavy so I had them shipped to my mom (orders over $50 ship FREE!) and she brought them up at Christmas time. When I go back home I'll reload on stuff like greenies, nylabones, booda bones etc. ;)

arasara said:
Claire - I can get 107 teenie greenies in the US for $20.40!! Here they are 1.50 per greenie. I can't believe how overpriced they are at some places!! Kind of makes you sick doesnt it?

Ditto... i went into petsmart the other day and greenies that were individual wrapped (as an impulse buy) were $0.89 to $1.09 USD!!

Oh, I know... i didn't buy any... they are unsafe for dogs under 5 lbs or 6 months... :)

I was saying they were in the impulse section... like a candy bar... I thought it was a funny comparison...

petedge.com has the lowest prices I have found online for Greenies becuse they sell the retail packs. Buying the 107s are annoying though as you have to buy the retail, individually wrapped ones, not very 'green' (sp to speak!) to have all that plastic wrapping plus a pain to open. I usually get the cannisters of the petites now.

I am trying to get Lisa and Tara to carry them on their online store including the large sizes. They are quite expensive individually. Kepp in mind the 107s are retail packs and not the way most people buy them thus you are getting a just over wholesale price, not a retail price when you buy in bulk. :)

If I recll the UK suppliers won't ship treats to Ireland. No one in Ireland sells them in any other way than in the individual format.

i like the look of them we normally just put lady's worming tablet inside some chesse. Which gets a bit messy.

Those look great for dogs that don;t like pills in cheese or peanut butter -- great for liquid meds! Some people have real problems with pills etc. Fortunately mine all inhale any item of food so getting a pill down is ridiculously easy. Leo takes two capsules a day in cheese and gets excited at the word 'pill' as a result. :roll:

The greenies pantry pack is what we got and they are not individually wrapped. They come in a huge ziplock bag and you can open it, take one, and close it and put the green lid back on the box. :flwr:

I am also careful about what size I give because the teenies are supposed to be a 5-15lb dog. Kosmo is a lb too short. I know they are easier to digest now but most of the dogs that died from greenies I heard died because their owners were giving them greenies that were not for their size. :yikes

sorry kind of unrelated how often do you give greenies is it just once a day or a couple of times a week to keep there teeth clean?

I think I read that there are now "new" Greenies out?? I hope so, because I remember reading about some dogs that died due to Greenies and some sort of intestinal obstruction, I believe it was on CNN or some website similar to that, maybe about a year ago? Since then I don't feed anything like that to my dogs any more, before I heard about the "bad" Greenies, I gave Bentley part of a Greenie and he got diarrhea from it....so, I don't buy them any more. Well, anyway, that was my experience with them, and like I said, I've heard that Greenies are now "safe" to feed.

Greenies are fed as a treat. Yes there was a problem with them last year and as I had stated before it was most commonly affiliated with dogs who were eating greenies that were bigger than they were supposed to be fed. Here's an article if you'd like to read more about it:

http://www.dogsincanada.com/Default.aspx?tabid=64&iID=50

They have since "redesigned" them to be more easily digestible.

On the box the feeding instructions say they can have 1 greenie per day. ;)

Hope this helps! :flwr:

Thanks for that link -- that is such a sensible response. I know people worry when they hear of a death but really you have to keep the context of the death and the risk factor with that particular product in perspective. More dogs end up in emergency or die of a rawhide obstuction every year than probably the entire greenies problem in total. I'd say too, far more die or have problems from eating raw diets. Yet each of those things, rawhide and raw diets, has benefits to be weighed against the risks. Dogs also die by choking on kibble, eating socks, eating string, and (thinking of Doggydd's pic!) getting eaten by crocs in Florida! I have personally heard more instances of dogs being attacked by hawks and coyotes thn ever having a signle problem with a greenie -- and I know a lot more people feed greenies than live in areas where there are hawks and coyotes.

Greenies are one of my gang's favourite treats and gum disease is a serious risk for cavaliers with its link to heart problems. lso gum disease and tooth decay means dentals, during which most dogs need to be put under -- also a risk. Sso a treat that works well on the things that cause gum disease is a worthwhile risk for me (as is feeding raw chicken necks and wings in a supervised way).

I forgot the cannisters for the teenies are 107s while the merchandisers are 100s. I used to get the regulars but now all the dogs are around15lbs or less so makes more sense to get the teenies. jaspar is fine with a smaller Greenie anyway as he takes foreever to eat one, even the new ones that are much easier to chew.

They're 19.99 for the cannisters if you get 6 or more. I just take the ziplock bags out and put the containers in mom's recycling and they are easy to bring back.

Irish folks: Tara's looking into retailing them and would look for the larger package sizes. I don't know how they sell them to retailers over here; may only be the individual ones.

US costs will always be less for anything though as the suppliers buy in such huge quantities.

Greenies can be dangerous to some dogs. Dogs who gulp food and treats and don´t chew their greenie ... oh sorry my english is not good enough to descripe it for you but you can read this artical that I found on CNN ..

http://cbs2.com/consumer/local_story_332193140.html

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/

http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/1c7a7ae1.html

But Andrea and Diva allways take a long time chewing their greenies and they absolutely LOVE them so I’m not going to take that away from them in the off chance (wich is a tiny percent) that one of them could hurt them, that means a lot of treats I would have to stop giving them, you know, these thirteen dogs that have died because of greenies sure makes it scary when I give my girls their greenies, but I think there is still so tiny prosent of dogs that have died becouse of greenies (wow I feel like I have written the word greenies a million times today!!) far more die or have problems from eating something else.

yep that's good to know Karlin it would be much easier to get them from Tara they are so overpriced at pet shop's here. And thanks for info on giving once a day.

Back