• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toilet training

Glynn

Hi,
Our cavalier Olly is now 9 months old about and although he will go outside and do a no1 and no2 (if we are at home) when we are out he will allways do it in the house.
Has anyone any ideas on how to get him out of this habit ?
I thought of putting the paper towels I use to clean it up, outside, where he should do it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi.. Is little Olly crate trained ? I have a 10 month old girl and she is basically in her crate when I'm not at home and she has never soiled it. It will help speed up the housetraining, along with consistency. That's the most important word right now.....It takes lots of time and energy to keep up with a pup. Good Luck.

I agree with scouty girl - If you're not home I would have Ollie put somewhere - a crate or an xpen would be great. Kosmo just graduated to having full run of the house when we were gone and we worked up to it. First we would leave for half our - then an hour - then 1 1/2 and so on. He is just 1 year now.

There's no way that I will let Faith (my 10 week old pup) out while we are gone for a very long time :flwr:

Scouty girl said:
Hi.. Is little Olly crate trained ? I have a 10 month old girl and she is basically in her crate when I'm not at home and she has never soiled it. It will help speed up the housetraining, along with consistency. That's the most important word right now.....It takes lots of time and energy to keep up with a pup. Good Luck.

Ditto...

Cicero will be crate training... I found it to be the most effect way to train and also... lots of patience and consistency in schedule...

You do need to address this right away, as I am sure you are aware -- or you are going to have an adult that continues to go inside. Basically there are no shortcuts: you need to go back to square one and start the whole housetraining process from the beginning. If everyone is gone all day this is going to be harder -- you are going to need to crate train him first, then use the fact that he is crate trained to confine him in the time you are away and get back at least once during the day to get him out for walks. If someone can stay at home with him for a week or better yet, two, you would probably solve this difficulty.

I suggest buying this book which has numerous schedules for doing all this and addresses the older dog who is still having accidents:

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB132

Amazon.co.uk carry the book or your local bookstore will probably special order.

Thanks for all your advice.
We "crated" him in an adjacent small toilet room off our utility room by using a child safety gate. Its probably the size of a crate. Now for a about a week he has been very good, by not doing any business in there and doing it outside, except for one small accident in the dining room.

So the question now is how long do we keep crating him ? i.e. how long do we need to do it to let him learn properly ?.

Thanks

Back