Thread: Does the furminator really help with matts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does the furminator really help with matts

I am thinking of purchasing a furminator and was wondering how much it helps with matting ?

I have the boys clipped for the summer due to our heat and their allergies but in winter I let them get a bit longer and even with daily grooming matts are a problem. I don't like using conditioners and things too much again due to allergies and so wondered how this product performs alone on matts ?
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like

From what I remember when I read the box it is not to be used on matts. Says if dog is matted take to groomer...it only works to remove undercoat or dead hair.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

It works great on the small matted areas on my cat. In fact it pulls it right out.
    Spencer and his mom, Whitney

Post Thanks / Like

If there are matts in the coat, I would recomend either trimming them out or brushing them out before your use the furminator. It can tear the hair if there is a major tangle. I think with regular use it would prevent matts from happening because the undercoat and dead hairs are removed, if that is what you are really asking.

I bought mine last night and I am HOOKED!! I did every animal I own and I was AMAZED at the amount of hair that I got off of my cats, especially. They look so much sleeker now and their coat is really shiny. the amount of hair looked like a was brushing a husky, not a cat!! I filled a small garbage can! No joke! My cavies did great with it too. I did Wesley first and then Cody. While I was doing Cody, Wesley kept nudging my hand because he wanted it done more to him!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Another Furminator fan here - they are brilliant on both of my cats and Bella
    Mum to Bella - Ruby bitch (3 years old)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think I will be getting one of these for my cats which are walking blizzards of fur -- I could brush enough hair to knit a sweater out of them each week. In my house the cats are the hairballs, not the dogs! But I will need something for managing Lily.

My understanding from a discussion amongst breeders is:

The Furminator definitely takes out dead/shedding coat -- but is really designed fur undercoat, which cavaliers do NOT have. It does not take out or cut living coat (hence not good for matts -- just get a matt cutter).

The Mars Coat King trims and thins out coat by cutting it. Also helps with taking out dead coat but use it springly as it is easy to find you have over-thinned the coat!

If you have a fluffy coated dog the Furminator will not necessarily be what you want as it is not thinning the coat, just taking out dead hair.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my furminator for over two weeks now...gotta give it a try!! Jake has a horrible mat behind his ear right now. I use a comb and just gently work it out starting at the end of the hair and working toward the skin.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah