• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does the furminator really help with matts

luvzcavs

I am thinking of purchasing a furminator and was wondering how much it helps with matting ?

I have the boys clipped for the summer due to our heat and their allergies but in winter I let them get a bit longer and even with daily grooming matts are a problem. I don't like using conditioners and things too much again due to allergies and so wondered how this product performs alone on matts ?

From what I remember when I read the box it is not to be used on matts. Says if dog is matted take to groomer...it only works to remove undercoat or dead hair.

If there are matts in the coat, I would recomend either trimming them out or brushing them out before your use the furminator. It can tear the hair if there is a major tangle. I think with regular use it would prevent matts from happening because the undercoat and dead hairs are removed, if that is what you are really asking.

I bought mine last night and I am HOOKED!! :lol: I did every animal I own and I was AMAZED at the amount of hair that I got off of my cats, especially. They look so much sleeker now and their coat is really shiny. the amount of hair looked like a was brushing a husky, not a cat!! :yikes I filled a small garbage can! No joke! My cavies did great with it too. I did Wesley first and then Cody. While I was doing Cody, Wesley kept nudging my hand because he wanted it done more to him!! :D

Think I will be getting one of these for my cats which are walking blizzards of fur -- I could brush enough hair to knit a sweater out of them each week. In my house the cats are the hairballs, not the dogs! But I will need something for managing Lily.

My understanding from a discussion amongst breeders is:

The Furminator definitely takes out dead/shedding coat -- but is really designed fur undercoat, which cavaliers do NOT have. It does not take out or cut living coat (hence not good for matts -- just get a matt cutter).

The Mars Coat King trims and thins out coat by cutting it. Also helps with taking out dead coat but use it springly as it is easy to find you have over-thinned the coat!

If you have a fluffy coated dog the Furminator will not necessarily be what you want as it is not thinning the coat, just taking out dead hair.

I've had my furminator for over two weeks now...gotta give it a try!! Jake has a horrible mat behind his ear right now. I use a comb and just gently work it out starting at the end of the hair and working toward the skin.

Back