Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: smelly breath! How often do you clean teeth -honestly!!

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried the ProDenPlaqueOff ??

http://www.molarltd.co.uk/plaqueoff/...off_animal.htm

Andrea and Diva gets half spoon of plaqueoff every day and have white and healthy teeths and no bad breath
    Grima mommy of two wonderful cavaliers Andrea(blenheim) and Diva (ruby)

-Assa tricolor cavalier waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip Cathy. While I'm out and about today I'm going to pick up a couple and try them. I know it's important and honestly, with all of the things I do for my dogs....this is so important.

Two of the boys who came into rescue needed dental work...to the tune of $1500 each!! A little daily effort can sure save you a lot of money.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, baby toothbrushes are much better than dog toothbrushes! I've been using a baby toothbrush by Oral B on Coco almost since she came from the breeders. The doggie toothbrushes were huge! The baby brushes are also cuter too!

I brush her teeth every day to every other day. It got pretty difficult when she was teething though. At that time, it was easier to use a piece of gauze and some toothpaste.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon
    The other day I bought 3 baby toothbrushes at the drugstore. These toothbrushes are for ages 1-5 and are Kid's Crest Sesame Street brand.

I've been using dog toothbrushes that I bought at PetSmart, and it seems to me that the large brush is too large and the small brush is too small. I've been thinking I could do a more thorough cleaning if I had a better brush.

The new baby toothbrushes are PERFECT!! Sooo much easier to use and the dogs seem to like them better too. I highly recommend the baby toothbrushes!
    Lol... who's preference is who's... any arguing over Oscar the Grouch?? too cute!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hehehe, I didn't really notice the sesame street muppet characters on them - so here goes - India has big bird, Geordie has elmo, and Chocolate has what appears to be bert and ernie and a girlfriend muppet, but they may be new characters that I don't know about.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I try to brush a few times a week and give regular Greenies too. They actually all decided after about two weeks that brushing is OK because they like the paste. (poultry flavour anyone? ). I was doing it very sporadically then my mom got her bill for a dental on Lucy -- : That reinspired me.

Lily actually gets excited when she sees the brush in my hand and spins, and tries to get me to do her again, when I am doing the boys.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My cavs love to get their teeth brushed too - just gotta love that poultry flavored toothpaste! They line up for their brushings, with Geordie trying to get seconds and thirds!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really a good one at "do what I say and not what I do" on this one. After all the dog's teeth that I have cleaned you would think that I would be very conscientious about doing my girls - but I'm not. They also tend to avoid me at times because I'm the one who is always checking ears, trying to scrape off tartar with a thumbnail, looking for bumps, etc.

And speaking of eating the cat poop. They'll all do that if they get the chance, because of the high protein content of cat food. It makes the poop taste better (?). There are additives that can be put into their food if they are eating their own poop. And we tried putting something in the cat's food, but he refused to eat the food then.

I have a bad habit of getting really irritated if I see one of the girls with a big wad of poop in her mouth outside and I drag them to the pool and wash their mouths out. They don't like this at all. But it also makes them steer clear of the pool, which is good.

I've used the finger brushes and two or three different kinds of dog toothbrushes. (I have done them a few times) With my girls the finger brush seemed to be easier.

I think everybody knows this, but just a reminder: please don't ever use human tooth paste for your dogs. They swallow the tooth paste and the human kind can make them ill. (You can go ahead and use the poultry flavored for yourself if you want to! )
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)