• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

toilet training - on leash vs not?

Katie

Scampi is 5 months and we have been taking her out on a lead to her toilet area and saying 'hurry up' to her, which she responds to immediately. We've bought the bells and are trying to teach her to use them, but I guess this is going to take some time.

So far (because there is a little area of the garden we need to clear properly of broken glass and rubbish from an old greenhouse) we have always taken her on the lead. Are we likely to encounter problems in getting her to go without the lead, if we continue to do this for much longer?

The only problem you might encounter is getting her to come back to you when she's finished :lol:

Bella would never go on the lead.. she likes to sniff around and do her thing, look for the perfect place, change her mind 20 times, sniff some more, kick up the grass a little....

Dylan doesn't like doing his business when he's on his lead but as our fences broke in high winds, we have had to (they were fixed, badly, yesterday :? ) so I had to take him into the garden with his lead. Dylan won't go when we are out for a walk though. I'd clear the galss soon and get started. Nice when they go on comand though isn't it, some people have to wait ages in the cold!

I have never trained on a leash, but before we got our fence I had a 30'
tie out looked to a tree and my dogs got used to that and we had no problem training. But I am so gratful for our fence it's wonderful and they love the freedom.
judy

i take lady on a lead in the garden i find it easier to keep a close eye on her and make sure she's gone for a wee before we go back inside. Since the weather's been colder she goes alot quicker and wants to go back inside straight away. I think it's because when she was little i took her out and we stayed outside till she had gone to the toilet then went inside. All i say is "lady go for a we we" and she does a little sniff then has a wee or a poo straight away. But i always take her to the same area in the garden so maybe she can smell where she went before. She goes for a wee's and poo's on walks we don't have any problems keeping her on a lead.

Back