• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Collar & Leash on puppy

noelie

Hi,

My Puppy is now 12 weeks old. I have tried to get him to wear his collar but he keeps scratching and crying when it is on. I have left him crying with it on but he doesnt stop any suggestions.

Also The Leash!!
He will not move when I put it on. I have carried him outside and he wont move. Tried him with his favourite treats but they cant persuade him to move.

Suggestions would be great.

Noelie

Try putting the collar on him for only a minute or two each day for awhile, and feed him while he's wearing it, so that he'll associate it with good things! :)

He's too young for leash walking; do you have a safe area outside that he can be loose in? If not, think about getting an x-pen outside for potty time.

The collar should be thin, lightweight and soft. I would not use leather or anything hard like that. Be careful to never pull on his lead.

You might want to get him a soft harness, since many cavaliers have sensitive necks. :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks.

I dont really have the safeest area in the garden for him to run around safely. :? I have a medium sized pond and I am afraid to leave him out on his own.

I was hoping that I could have him walking outside soon as I like to walk myself.

I will get him a soft harness and lightweight collar. The one I have is leather.

Any suggestions about teaching him not to go near a pond. I have seen him walk up to it and look I tell him its bold and he isnt to bothered with it.

Noelie :D

Hi Noelie:

I recommend giving Tara and Lisa a call -- contacts on www.dogtrainingireland.com -- and get him correctly fitted for a Puppia. he will probably be a small just moving into a medium but I am not sure of his size.

He is too young to be able to learn not to go in a pond nd he will be naturally curious -- he is only a puppy and puppies explore. Don't scold him for going near it; instead cheerfully call him away and towards you and then play with him or give him something else fun to do. You should always be supervising him when he is outside anyway so I am sure this will be easy and fun to do.

These are spaniels BTW and generally love water and take to it naturally. My Jaspar was swimming by about 16-20 weeks in the Phoenix Park ponds. They figure out how to swim pretty quickly but in this cold weather I'd not encourage such a young puppy to go in.

Mine like to get into water at every possible chance though and all love a good swim!

He is also old enough where you should consider a fun obedience class as well in the coming weeks, maybe by March/April. Check the Dog Training Ireland website as the classes fill up fast and many for Mrch are already booked out. :)

I would recomend getting a puppia. Cody was the same way and would plop his butt down and refuse to take a step. With the puppia, its like he doesn't realize that the leash is attached to him, or at least it is more comfortable than the pressure on the neck. He walks great with his harness! ;)

Thanks for all the great tips.

I will definitly pick up a Puppia.

I have also looked at the classes in dog training irleand.com and will definitly put my name down for one soon.

p.s. Karlin. Are there any large pet shops around Dublin or Laois that are cheap.

Noelie

Hi Noelle.
I have a pink small puppia harness that Holly has grown out of. I was going to send it to Monniechris in Florida, but she's looking for an XS. I'll post it to you if you like. If it doesn't fit, just post it back and i'll see if anyone else would like it.
Yvonne
pm me your address and i'll put it in todays post.
Y

Back