• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bentley has diarrhea

Thanks Lani, I was thinking the same thing tonight....his dog food is already chicken and rice, so it makes sense that should be easy on his tummy. I think I may have just made the transition too quickly, so I will try mixing them together. Silly me! LOL! But I'm glad you brought it up, I really wasn't thinking, and I should have mixed the two together and do a gradual transition. I was always a real stickler on making sure I switched my horse's feed very gradually, and now that I think of it, it really isn't any different for dogs either. So, I'll mix the boiled chicken and rice in with his kibble, and go gradually.

:flwr:

Things are a bit better....I gave Bentley some white rice this morning. But I sure didn't sleep very well last night. I'll know better next time to make it a very gradual transition. Whew!
:sl*p:

Gradual transition is a must. But since this has been so off and on, I think that a trip to see the vet may be in order. Listening to bowel sounds and feeling the dogs belly may tell her something more.

My first shihtzu had IBS. My husband always said he could tell when I was upset because Bonnie would get diarrhea. We were very close!

The mucous and light color are suspect, IMO. Do they have a more pungent odor than his normal poo?

I really wish you'd take this baby in. (I know, got on my Vet Nurse shoes again!) It could be bacterial, it could be fungal - hard to tell without the vet seeing a sample and the dog.

Sometimes depending on the cause you can give them plain yogurt to get the proper balance back in their gut - but I'd give the vet a call first!

Hi there, thanks for all the help everyone. Bentley is acting like his old self, running and playing and eating. But I do have him back on the boiled chicken and rice. I plan calling his vet in the morning and I also plan on taking in a stool sample too. But, I agree, I am a bit worried aboout the mucous, altho today his stools do seem a tad bit better....still, it's been going on now, off and on, for about 5 days or maybe 6. Yes, his poo has a much stronger odor to it too, so that right there tells me something is up. But, I will give my vet a call in the morning, just to be on the safe side..better to err on the side of caution.
:flwr:

Back