Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help, Smell Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Help, Smell Problem

I am a new member to this site, will post an intro in a little while, but I am in desperate need of HELP.
    My male cavalier pees like SKUNK. I am not kidding. He has no infection and there is no medical reason that can be found for this. I have tried switching food a few different times and I thought that may have resolved the problem but the smell returned.
    Everything has this faint skunk order that he touches now. Anything he lays on and even my poor bitch.

He is well hydrated and does not appear to be in any pain. He has passed all health testing for breeding purposes and is overall a very healthy teenage boy.

Please someone out there tell me you have had the same smell and you know exactly what I am talking about. It is the urine itself that smells like skunk. I try to keep his belly shaved as well as the back of his legs since his aim is terrible sometimes.

ANYONE PLEASE I AM DESPERATE TO FIND THIS OUT

Cheers,
    Linda Byerline, President
    MLB Industries, Inc
    www.happyheinys.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome!

How old is he? And is he neutered?
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the delay, I managed to de-activate my accouunt after I posted this.
    He is 2 yrs old and is not neutered. Perfect health, champion lines. Since shortly after we got him we noticed the smell and we spent a lot of time in and out of the vet trying to figure it out but have had no luck yet.

I will also add that my bitch is just going out of season and the smell has been a lot worse lately, of course he has been busy spraying much more then usual. The smell is not simply because of her being in season though, this happens year round.

Thanks for any input
    MLB Industries, Inc
    www.happyheinys.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is he your first entire? In my experience entire males smell stronger than if neutered. Especially smaller dogs for some reason. One of my entire males smelt like that and all I could do was to bath him regularly. He was particularly bad when there were bitches in season. The only thing I can think of is that it is a man dog smell and maybe the girls find that the stronger smelling they are the better. I dont know, but I do know that some smell worse than others. I also use doggie deodorant as well and that seems to help as well as regular baths. Also its not a good idea to totally cut off his doodle hairs as they seem to spray a lot worse without it. I usually just give a trim so the pee still has a guide of where it is supposed to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a couple of teaspoons of cider vinager in the water dish.
    Norma
    Gabbie & Tilly

Post Thanks / Like

He is not my first non-neutrered male but he is my first small non-neutered male. We went from Aussies to Cavaliers and the Aussies were a med/lg breed. He did not smell at all.

I will try the cider vinegar, is this something that would be done daily? or just every now and then?
    Thank you
    MLB Industries, Inc
    www.happyheinys.com

Post Thanks / Like

okay a little off topic... but lbyerline what are happyheinys??
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Click on her link!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

lol, oops duh... it's been one of those days!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

sorry I just copied my signature over from a different board without thinking
    MLB Industries, Inc
    www.happyheinys.com