• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please Help, Smell Problem

lbyerline

I am a new member to this site, will post an intro in a little while, but I am in desperate need of HELP.
My male cavalier pees like SKUNK. I am not kidding. He has no infection and there is no medical reason that can be found for this. I have tried switching food a few different times and I thought that may have resolved the problem but the smell returned.
Everything has this faint skunk order that he touches now. Anything he lays on and even my poor bitch.

He is well hydrated and does not appear to be in any pain. He has passed all health testing for breeding purposes and is overall a very healthy teenage boy.

Please someone out there tell me you have had the same smell and you know exactly what I am talking about. It is the urine itself that smells like skunk. I try to keep his belly shaved as well as the back of his legs since his aim is terrible sometimes.

ANYONE PLEASE I AM DESPERATE TO FIND THIS OUT

Cheers,
Linda Byerline, President
MLB Industries, Inc
www.happyheinys.com

Sorry about the delay, I managed to de-activate my accouunt after I posted this.
He is 2 yrs old and is not neutered. Perfect health, champion lines. Since shortly after we got him we noticed the smell and we spent a lot of time in and out of the vet trying to figure it out but have had no luck yet.

I will also add that my bitch is just going out of season and the smell has been a lot worse lately, of course he has been busy spraying much more then usual. The smell is not simply because of her being in season though, this happens year round.

Thanks for any input

Is he your first entire? In my experience entire males smell stronger than if neutered. Especially smaller dogs for some reason. One of my entire males smelt like that and all I could do was to bath him regularly. He was particularly bad when there were bitches in season. The only thing I can think of is that it is a man dog smell and maybe the girls find that the stronger smelling they are the better. I dont know, but I do know that some smell worse than others. I also use doggie deodorant as well and that seems to help as well as regular baths. Also its not a good idea to totally cut off his doodle hairs as they seem to spray a lot worse without it. I usually just give a trim so the pee still has a guide of where it is supposed to go. :flwr:

He is not my first non-neutrered male but he is my first small non-neutered male. We went from Aussies to Cavaliers and the Aussies were a med/lg breed. He did not smell at all.

I will try the cider vinegar, is this something that would be done daily? or just every now and then?
Thank you

Hi Linda and welcome to the board.

I have a 3 year old entire boy, who always manages to wet his feathers when he wees, so I know about this smell!!

Entire boy Cavaliers do seem to produce smelly wee - I find the apple cider vinegar really helps though. Mine wouldn't drink the water with it in, and now I acutally mix it with equal volue of honey, and syringe about 1/2 tsp into their cheek pouch. TO start with you need to do it every day for about a month, then twice a week seems to be enough to maintain it.

This gets rid of the smell, and i just wash him underneath and the feathering once a day with a wet flannel.

The vinegar/honey mixture is also very good for yeast overgrowth situations, where the hair around the mouth and sometimes on the paws too, becomes very pink where it is in contact with saliva.

could I simply just give him 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar each day or does it need to be mixed?
Thank you very much, I am so glad to hear this is normal. You would not believe the amount of things we have tried to get rid of the smell. We have become very personal with him trying to keep him nice and clean with the help of our vet.
I would also love for his feathers to grow back in. Right now I keep them very trimmed because they also hold the smell

I give all my dogs apple cider vinegar in their food every night. I givr it to them because its a great anti inflam and is supposed to be good for the heart and blood circulation. I give Jeremy about a teaspoon. I didnt know it was good for stinky wee's, but come to think of it he isnt smelly at all.

I used to use cider vinegar for Monty and Izzy , so recently decided to try it for the foursome. Although Izzy and Monty never seemed to notice, Teddy was having nothing of that water bowl. Some one was trying to poison him and the only way to get him to drink was to offer a separate bowl with nothing added. Then Joly cottoned on and decided he'd take the safe option , too.

My boy's wee also stinks. It used to be a lot worse when he was younger, I think because he didn't drink very much. I think his wee was very concentrated! It seems to stink a bit less now he's a poorly old boy and drinks a lot.

Karlin said:
Click on her link! :)
Wow what a great website design. I love the side tabs for retail and wholesaler placement. I enjoyed viewing it - even though I dont have babies (well Kodee is getting treated much too much like an enfant). This weekend it stopped - I wanted a dog to enjoy again, so I better stop treating her like an enfant!

It is something to do with concentration, as it's strongest first thing in the morning.

Pepsi said:
My boy's wee also stinks. It used to be a lot worse when he was younger, I think because he didn't drink very much. I think his wee was very concentrated! It seems to stink a bit less now he's a poorly old boy and drinks a lot.

apple cider vinegar was recommended to me to discourage fleas last year. I put it in zack's and fluffy's water, and sprayed it on zack's coat and rubbed it in. He smelled like a salad. he did not like it in his water, even though it's a very large water bowl and only a little vinegar. He avoided the water so i gave up on that.

I would not give the straight vinegar in a syringe but would mix or dilute it with something, just because i think a dog would not like the taste of it straight, and then they will start fearing you giving them things by mouth with syringe so that it could start becoming traumatic whenever you have tlo give them medicine. I have tried to make giving things by syringe in the mouth a good experience for zack and he actually is eager to have it, he sucks on it kind of like nursing, it's cute. i've sometimes given him diluted colloidal silver or probiotics mixed with water by syringe for specific conditions, as well as clavamox once for a bacterial infection. it helps that he is ok with it.

i had to give my cat an antibiotic for a UTI years ago by syringe in the mouth, the first few times, she let me do it, but i later found out it tastes horribly bitter, and she got so she wouldn't let me give it to her, there was no way even with both me and my daughter trying to hold her, she became wild and very violent trying to get away. Frankly, i felt badly that the vet would give something so bad tasting, unless there was nothing else available. Zack's clavamox was good tasting, he liked it. (people with kids may know it as "the bubblegum medicine," amoxicillin. My daughter adored it).

first see if he's ok with it in his water bowl. If not, you can use the syringe. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for many things, so they say.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. For us the smell is all day long, I wish it were just morning and it totally reminds me of skunk.

I have been giving him the apple cider vinegar every evening since Thursday and I think I may be noticing a difference. What I have been doing is I will give everyone 1 treat right before, then he is receiving 1/2 teaspoon ACV mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water by syrnge, he is a great boy and does not mind. Then everyone gets another treat and he gets 1 more treat.

He really is my lover boy, sounds like everyone's boys act the same, so I look forward to not having this horrid smell around all the time.

Thank you for the compliments on my website, that has been a huge feet of accomplishment for our family

Back