Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince has seizures!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prince has seizures!!

Can anyone help me out, my Cav has terrible seizures, has anyone else experienced this? It seems to only happen when we are out for a walk, he goes totally stiff and shakes, it is terrifying to see. I had him at the dog hospital and they thought it was epilepsy, they done tests and it turns out its not. My vet thinks he is not getting enought oxygen to his brain. I am now afraid to bring him for walks in case it happens again, as you can imagine I really fuss over him and he is spoiled rotten!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

oh my god Sue - I am so sorry!! That must be terrifying.

Have you heard of a condition called episodic falling syndrome? I don't know much about it so someone else will have to chime in but form what I know it's worth at least checking out.

Good luck - hopefully someone else can help you out..
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

I would go to another vet and get another opinion. Not all vets are created equal and so like with human, second and third opinions can be very important.

I'm very sorry about your poor baby. I don't know anything about episodic falling syndrome, but it's definitely something you could talk with another vet about.

Good luck!
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the health library on EFS:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=217

I don't know much about it but maybe you can read through it and compare.

I agree with Monica - go and seek another opinion!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

Thank you so much Sara, I have looked at a website that is all about episodic falling, it has video clips (which are very upsetting) of dogs having them, it looks very like what Prince has, it also says that it is painful for them, i am so upset, my vet told me that he wouldnt know what is happening to him! Thank you again, I am going to do alot of research on this to see if i can prevent it happening again.
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Sue,

I am so sorry to hear that.

You know what though? If this is in fact what he has then at least you know that there is help out there. To be honest with you I was looking into adopting a little b/t boy who had this same condition. His foster mom took him to a vet which precribed a new medication to him and he hasn't had a seizure for quite a while now. (I still keep up with his foster mom on his progress)

Hopefully you can get everything straightened out Sue - I'll be thinking of you!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you again Sara, I can't believe I have finally found out what it is, you wouldnt believe how upsetting it is when its happening and you dont know what to do or what he is feeling, all I can do is talk to him and pet him to try to calm him down. I have been on a website about it and requested regular updates. I am just gonna keep spoiling my little furbaby with love and hugs At least I know I am not doing anything wrong and I have been right not to bring him for very long walks. Thanks again to everyone, Prince is gonna be ok once we take extra extra care
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Sue!! Let us know how you get on. Maybe your vet (or another one perhaps?) can give you more of a definitive answer and also have some suggestions on how to help him out.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Sue!
    I am so sorry to hear this but it seems very likely that your little Prince has EF syndrome. Please, contact with the people on the www.episodicfalling.com website. They are very kind and helpful and have huge experience. Most of EF dogs can be treated to let them live normal or almost normal life. There have been some experiences also on acupuncture or other kind of alternative treatment. There are not many vets who are familiar with this syndrome. You can inform your vet first about this website and then maybe he/she would like to find more and contact those veterinarians, who have this information.

Good luck to you and Prince

Post Thanks / Like

That has to be so awful for you Sue, I agree about getting another opinion from another vet. Somewhere there has to be a vet with some experience with this. Let us know how he is doing.
    ~Renee, Bailey & Maddie, and RIP my beloved Bentley.