• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First Aid Kit Recommendations

Cicero's Mummy

so, as the day that Cicero comes home is drawing near... I am trying to get together a doggie first aid kit...

I have seen this link http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69, and it just seems like alot of information to process...

so, I was wanting a little insight into what your kits look like...

any suggestions? what kind of box do you use? that sort of thing...

also, I will always be taking Cicero to get his nails trimmed (i wont be doing them myself... i just am too scared I will hit the quick and make my poor baby bleed to death)... so should I still worry about getting the special powder??

did this make any sense? I hope so... thanks in advance for the suggestions...

(and any photos would help, so I know what I am looking for) :)

we cut lady's nails i was really scared at first but it was fine one of us held her and the other trim nails we put her on her back and then it's easier to get at the nails we have the gilotine ones and cut off tiny bits it takes ages but i would rather do that than make her bleed. Just make sure you don't cut the quick its the pink bit on nail like ours. But don't ask me how to cut dew claws i can't seem to get at them the vet did them for her. and you can use a cup of flour to stop bleeding i recall reading it on this board. i think you just drip the paw in the cut can someone clarify?

I was terrified of the nail thing too - but I asked my vet to show me and the first few times I trimmed them, I took them to the vet and had him watch me. I bought the clipper with the guard (in the small size). That said, they both have white nails, so the quick is fairly easy to see.
I figure if I can do it myself, I have more money to spend on cool puppy wear!!

I dont know if this is the same thing but we cut all our kitties nails ourselves. The first time we took them to a salon to get it done just so we could see it being done by a professional but this woman was awful. She cut their nails but was so rude to us and mean to our kittens I was so upset so after that we just bought our our own clippers and I vowed never to go back to that place again. Its not that hard and since their nails are clear like ours it easy to see where to stop. The best part of that whole ordeal was that when we got home we noticed she had missed a few nails on both of the kittens so we had to do it ourselves anyway. What was the point of taking them and then paying her to be rude and not even do the job correctly is beyond me. I did call and make a complaint to the manager and we did get a refund but still Im never going there again

I would suggest having two plastic containers (with a lid--and you can get one with a handle, easy to carry with you)--that way your puppy can't get into it and it's easy to put away for future use.

You can have on emergency kit and one every day kit:

In our every day kit we have the heartworm medicine, tooth brush and toothpaste, ear cleaning solution, nail clippers (we have both kinds--i do think that normal clippers for the dew claw is helpful), tweezers, brush and comb (though I mostly keep the comb out for almost every day use), scissors for hair under feet.

This way there is one case with things used most often and one with things that may come in handy or have been handy--I think that the website the link directs you to is a good list, you can add old medicines to it or medecines rarely used. You need to think about what problems could possibly arise (and know how to use them). Vet advice is always helpful too.

Back