Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SORTED: Can any of our US members help this lady ?

Post Thanks / Like

His Vet bills were not a huge amount if indeed this arthritis was the problem which it appears was.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately some people have the image of rescue as being kennels, ie a pound situation, rather than staying in a home and perhaps going directly from old to new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T
    I talked with her by phone for a while this morning. She is in contact with Kathy Hebert (did I spell that right?!) but wants to try to place him herself. I was saddened by her comment about rescue being a last resort and called to talk to her about rescue. She has already placed a b&t she needed to rehome. Hopefully she'll find him a good home.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's often several sides to some of these stories, as Nancy notes. Bottom line: any retired champion should always have gone back to the breeder as the very first step and usually that is actually stipulated in the homing contract -- at only 6, he cannot have been retired very long. If that was not possible, next step would be contacting the local or regional breed club who would undoubtedly have many likely homes for a retired breeder dog -- if the breeder were deceased, many colleagues would step in to help. If he is intact this would have been of the utmost importance, too.

Also most breeders don't insure dogs -- they have way too many for that -- and anything he has was probably uninsurable as a pre-existing condition (eg arthritis). Insurance is expensive too for many people; don't forget. People's financial situations change, not all, especially retirees, can do anything to pay for a dog's medical bills. Just to emphasise it is important not to base the decision on the affordability of a dog over its lifetime on insurance covering illnesses as many can get excluded or will not be covered anyway.

I am not surprised many moved quickly to help on the breeder side of things, and am glad this is being sorted -- and thanks to those who tried to help. I have removed the contact details from the original post.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com