Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: telling off! how do you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm a black belt in taekwondo so I usually just kick him across the room.

just kiddin! Usually calling his name followed by a stern "nooooo" will do the trick. My pup is such a sensitive little fellow. I've read its bad to use their name in a negative way i.0.e yelling it at them when he doin something bad.

Post Thanks / Like

yep i certainly got the hang of not chasing him right at the beginging
    i too use the ahh ahhh when he has done something and yes it does work and i also lower my voice when he really needs to listen this works appart from if he has had a mad moment and is soooo excited that i could dangle a whole string of sausages infront of him and he wouldnt notice he is sooo engrossed in his chase or found something more delectable ( well ok maybe not a string of sausages, that WOULD make him stop ) this works if he has finally given up what he is doing or if he has nowhere else to run too. he is very good at "wait" and this has helped A LOT, (except last night when he had very selective hearing) but again needs reenforcing with BIG distractions, ie birds etc at least i know i am using the same techniques as you all so that is a comfort i took him out last night (night after the incident) and even though he was on the extending lead i didnt have the stopper on so he could go as he pleased but he stayed by my side teh WHOLE time! didnt even go barmy in the usual bird nesting spots or bark once or try to get away. i think he got the message last night that mum was NOT happy (he hates being ignored )but will make sure in re-enforce all our training and not get so complacent this time. he loves his new treats, just need to see if they love him!! he is more liable to this at night time i think because he cant see properly as he will bark at things at night that normaly in the day he would ignore.
    my mummy lurrrrves me!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I just remembered that the breeder must have used with Tibby and other dogs and I just happened to come across by accident. If I am trying to pick her up or if she is just trying to run the other direction for whatever reason a very stern "Stop" will put her on her belly right then. She's a little Nervous Nellie; even though we've had her for at least 4 years those 3 years of a bad life have stayed in her mind. She's very submissive to hubby and very nervous with me.

I think the key here is to find one particular word or sound and stick with it.

I wasn't assuming you were not smart enough to know not to run after her, but sometimes that is our first instinct.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I relate to the running away!!
    My little darling darted out my front door when I was coming in with the mail, I was distracted and off she went. Swoosh!! ( I am sure she is part greyhound)
    I was calling (yes, wrong I know) she was heading for the roads of "no return" (that's what I was thinking at the time).
    I don't know what made me do it, but I dropped to the ground and she noticed, and ran straight back to me, to investigate. I didn't know to hit her or hug her. Naturally I didn't hit her, I never do.
    My heart was pumping like mad. I thought this time I think she is gone.
    Regards

Sharon (Sophie's Mother)
    In Sunny Australia

Post Thanks / Like

its so great to know that others are out there in the same boat. and tips on what you do are handy too. took jadan for a country walk today and had planned on keeping him on the lead all the way specially as i had the 8 meter one. but we got to a point where a fence ran along on both sides which we hadnt been to before except on bike rides before we got jadan. i showed jadan a nice bit of treat in my poket and then let him off the lead....well i sort of knew he couldnt go anywhere until we came upon a bit of fence that had been bought down by the wind a few weeks ago well he was fine!!!! just carried on running up and down the path to us and i would tell him to wait and he did, most of the time stock still till we caught up with him and others would just snif about where he was till we caught up. at one point he took off round the corner and we thought here we go as he was barking away like he does when he is giving chase but funnily enough he didnt sound like he was moving. we got round the corner and he was just running round in circles waiting for us. cant tell you how happy it made us he was such a good boy. anyway, i still dont trust him in our park as its too close to home and i think he has gotten a bit too cocky round there stepped up on the home training and def make him sit and so on for everything...well not everything....my cuddles come for free
    my mummy lurrrrves me!!!!