Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a trainer/obedience class?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you look for in a trainer/obedience class?

Hi all,

I am looking for a good obedience class for Murray. I called a trainer and wasn't able to make it into his class due to scheduling conflicts. However, he was describing his class and it involves using a "soft nylon training collar". Is this similar to a choker collar? Or are these commonly used and are okay? My preference would be to not use a collar at all.

Any advice on where to find good trainers? Or what specifically to ask when calling around?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know what he meant by that - I'd ask again, but there are some nylon training harnesses that are very good and put no pressure on the throat.

The easywalk harness is a good example. Lucky has one and he walks so well with it on - much better than the puppia. It gives a gentle correction when he forges ahead, but nothing severe and no pressure at all on the throat.

This is an example of what it looks like:

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=76

I'd investigate to see what your trainer is talking about, but if it is the Easy Walk, then I would not be concerned. Lucky forges ahead with the puppia but walks so politely with the easy walk. He rarely forges ahead at all.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a feeling it means a nylon choke.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....oduct_id=18022

Most wouldn't use a walking harness for training all dogs but many clsses would use a nylon choke for training 'corrections'.

Why not call your vet or the local SPCA and ask if they have a list of trainers who offer rewards-based classes?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

We asked our vet for a list of dog trainers who use positive renforcement in their training and they refered us. I was also told to visit some training classes before you go and see if you like the trainer and the way the class is run? Also make sure that the owners, dogs and trainers arn't stressed. Also ask how many puppies will be in the class we have a max of 6 in the class? Do they separate the smaller and larger dogs during the free play socalisation time? We also looked on the apdt website but i think that just for uk dog trainers.
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nylon choke ...

Since you are in NJ, I'll recommend Pet Smart for you - Lucky went there and it was a great experience. There were the distractions of the shoppers but it was actually a good experience havign him focus with those distractions.

If you're in the Northern NJ area Petsmart is actually opening a SECOND store on Route 17 - farther north. My trainer told me that new store will have an enclosed training ring and they'll be remodeling the current store to have one as well.

Also, I ran into some people with a Cav at another pet store and they are bringing their dog to American Canine Academy. You may want to google them and call to see if they are positive reinforcement. I will probably call them myself at some point to find out too - they have a very flexible Intermediate and Advanced training schedule and do agility as well. They are in Hawthorne.

(just edited to say that on their "Choosing a Dog Trainer" link they say look for positive reinforcement and training should never involve yelling choking or any methods that involved paint ...I'd still see if you can observe a class, but if it is convenient for your location it might be a place to look at ...)

Good Luck.
    Lani

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good advice Natalie, thanks.

A good trainer shouldn't mind if you coma and quietly sit and observe a class (without your dog of course).
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the great advice. I am trying to find a class that emphasizes positive reinforcement. It has been hard to find one around here though. We are in South/Central NJ, we do have a PetSmart near here, I just wasn't sure how good there classes are. Good to know you liked it though and had a good experience there.

I'll let you know what I come up with!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some of the PetSmart classes are really good! My parents enjoyed the one they did with Lucy.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The downside of taking a class at Petsmart is the temptation to buy new treats and toys every week before or after class ...
    Lani

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. If you want to PM me and tell me where you are located, I can give you some good recommendations here in NJ. we used a terrific trainer in Union and there is a great place in Frenchtown. And I know of a few others that are all positive based training. Your Murray is just gorgeous!
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)