Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you look for in a trainer/obedience class?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are joining a group class then go to watch for a few classes, ask the others there if they enjoy the classes and if they see results from the way they are being taught, do the dogs and owners look happy....we always encourage this at our club classes.

Is it a nice atmosphere, do you LIKE the trainer? can you TALK to them?....remember the awful teacher at school? we never learnt anything from them! we always did with the nice ones

Look around and be fussy, it's easier to get the training done the first time correctly than having to undo and then re-train afterwards when things havn't gone quite right.

Relax and feel comfortable when you start training, tension travels down a lead. Practice little and often at home between classes as well.

You will know when you find a class that suits you....you will love to do it and you and your dog will want to return week after week. ENJOY and have fun!

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also add : Look for a class where the trainer is in control. By tha,t I don't mean controling , but in charge of the situation ie dogs aren't allowed to interfere with others (I walked out on a class where dogs were tied round the outskirts of the room, unsupervised and allowed to lurch at any working dog passing by. At another despite being warned otherwise, a silly lady let her aggressive wheaten terrier off lead , causing a nasty fight with a labrador. The trainer was able to separate the dogs and calm everyone down. She banned the offending owner, with no refund, too )
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a new place in my town called Unleashed. They have an agility course, obedience training, grooming, boarding and an indoor dog park. The place looks really cool. I have used them for grooming (we also have a Yorkie) and was happy with them. This is the trainer I talked to who was saying they used the nylon collar. Maybe I need to call back to clarify how it is used. I could not use it as a choke collar. I would not do that to Murray. I think I'll call back, if I'm not comfortable with it, we'll have to continue with our search. There is always PetSmart! Murray loves it there because he always gets so much attention AND we do always leave with new treats or toys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Murray is absolutely adorable!!! Good Luck!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nixon
    (I walked out on a class where dogs were tied round the outskirts of the room, unsupervised and allowed to lurch at any working dog passing by.
    Barbara,

If she was a member of the PDTA I hope you wrote to them and complained. I know they spot check their instructors and would want to know of this if she was a member.

Alison.