• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you prepare your chicken and rice for your dog?

Remali

Since Bentley has had some diarrhea issues, I am going to boil boneless skinless chicken breasts for him. As well as white rice. I was wondering, do you do anything else or anything special for your dogs with tummmy troubles as far as feeding? I've never boiled chicken before so I am a bit worried about getting the chicken done correctly. LOL!

Oh hey, that's a great idea Lani!! I'm glad that you told me that. I'll try it! Well, the chicken I boiled for them turned out good, I was worried I'd under-cook or over-cook it, but it seemed just fine....in fact I even made a sandwich for myself with some of it, LOL! Bentley and Bailey both just loved it, and gobbled up all of the chicken and the rice too! So I hope his intestines start settling down now that he is getting more of a bland diet.

Just be careful because most of the baby food dinners have onion powder in it, which isn't safe for doggies. I made that mistake w/ Wesley once, seeing as I always have baby food around. :)

I just went down and looked and the only one I had was the Vegatable Chicken Dinner, which contains onion powder. Can't verify for sure on the Chicken & Rice. At least not until I go to the store tonight.

Good point -you need to read the ingredients. I only get hte ones that are pure chicken.

I boil the chicken in a pot of water....or even easier just put it in the microwave. I also do minute rice for the rice.

Evangers makes pure canned chicken or chicken & beef 13 ounce cans are $.99. I over cook the rice & add the meat. sandy

You can also use any part of the chicken.

Our Charley lived on chicken w/rice or w/veggies for over a year.

Often the legs or thighs were on sale....I'd buy a bag or two and boil them after removing the skin.

If you boil chicken breast (without the skin) you can cut some large pieces, place them in pasta sauce with a bit of grated mozarella.
Then pop it into the microwave, voila, instant chicken parmesan! ;D

Thank you for the great suggestions! I bought Minute Rice, and used that....they just loved it with the chicken. Good idea about the microwave (quicker), and the canned chicken too! And the sauce on the chicken for me, now that is a fabulous idea, with some mozarella....yumminers!
If I get the baby food, I will be very careful and read the label first, I didn't realize that onion powder may be in it.

:D

i followed suggestions of people on cavaliertalk, never having boiled chicken before, nor cooked it either generally, i buy them precooked and ready to eat. I boiled water in a pot, pulled off whatever skin was still there, cut it into smaller pieces, threw it in the water, cooked it for about 45 minutes, that was the part i wasn't sure about, checked it to see if it was pink inside, then made the Minute Rice, mixed cut up chicken into the minute rice, and zack wouldn't have anything to do with any other food for months after that. it smelled great and i found it hard to resist eating it myself. I refrigerated what was left, i made a lot of rice too, and then for a couple of days, i could put a little rice and cut up chicken in a sauce pan and heated it up with a little water, and made little meals for him and gave it to him a few times a day. It smelled so good, no salt or seasoning but it was very flavorful.

Im happy to hear about the Evangers. Now, if they would just have cooked white rice in a can... :flwr:

I also boil the chicken and then keep the stock/water which is left over.
I then top up the left over liquid and then boil the rice with it. That way the meat goodness doesn't get wasted.

I also keep veg stock to do the same with, remembering NO added salt when cooking them.
I keep a few frozen containers of stock/water in the freezer as well, good for the "lazy" days. :lol:

Alison.

you can put your rice on to cook and put your chicken breast over that. You can also use lean ground beef if that makes it any easier.

I know this is used for intestinal problems, but can I give it to them as a special meal every now and then - I think they would enjoy it

I think that giving it to them as a special meal is a great idea, I don't see why it would hurt. But, they may not be quite so apt to want to eat their dog food after eating chicken! Bentley is still doing better, and they both had more chicken and white rice this morning. Thank you for all of the great tips, and I liked reading how and what everyone else does, makes it easier for me to know what I'm doing! I'd never boiled chicken before, LOL!

My mother has taken to actually cooking an entire chicken on Sundays. Naturally this means lots of left overs, so I nearly always have cooked chicken in the house. For the rice I use Marks and Spencers steamed rice- it works like the Bird's Eye StreamFresh veggies- keep the rice frozen, then just throw a portion bag in the microwave for five minutes. Beautiful fluffy rice that incidentally is pretty dry and is thus begging to be made into egg fried rice. However, I have a fear of getting food poisoning (always means fainting; last couple of times concussion as well from banging aginst things...) so I'll leave that one.

When I make rice for myself I usually give the dogs some too 'cos the portions are so generous.

Back