• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Thinking of relocating to a colder climate

lisacj100

I stumbled across this forum when putting in a google search for cavalier and snow. I currently live in Melbourne Australia where it doesn't snow or get much below 8°C (46F). We are thinking of relocating to Salt Lake City for 2 years to work and I want to bring my cavalier. Lucy can survive 40°C (104F) heat but I'm not sure how she'll go in the cold. I guess if we rent a house with a doggie door she'll be OK in winter whilst we're at work. How pet friendly are rentals in Utah? Does anyone know? And how do cavaliers really go in the snow?

Wesley has been just fine in the snow here in the suburbs of Chicago. And we've been having windchill factors of -20F lately. Their paws do hurt after about 20 seconds in that though. In regular cold, he does just fine and wants to romp around in the snow.

Our cavalier is coming from Utah.. I wouldn't worry too much on temps... as long as you plan to have him as an inside dog (which you SHOULD imo) you should be fine....

There is a great websites out there for rentals... are you looking to rent a home/condo/apartment???

PM me... my sil lives out there... you have to be careful where you choose... some rentals charge by the person and are ridiculous...

Dylan loves the snow!

384518502_fb0b0373ac.jpg

We got Wallis when we lived in KY - on an icy cold December day if I remember correctly. It can get pretty cold there and she handled it well as a puppy. We left there when she was somewhere between 2 and 3.

I was in SLC this past weekend and the weather there seemed similar to KY in that the day we got there it was frigid and by the time we left we were walking across the street without our coats.

Don't know much about the city other than it looks pretty; I just wouldn't want to live there personally because I've grown accustomed to being warm! 8)

Good luck.

We are in Wisconsin, one of many areas in the "deep freeze" the last week or so. Temps below zero (Fahrenheit) and windchills in the -10's to-20's. Doesn't phase Ariel at all! I send them out for play and potties and she will stay out longer than our greyhound if we let her.

<Pauline, I LOVE that fun photo!!

I'm sure he will adjust to the weather change. Although Murray does not like to "go potty" outside in this freezing cold weather we've had lately. He had been doing wonderful with house training, and lately has had a few accidents because he doesn't want to stay outside long enough to do his business outside...can't say I blame him though...it's freezing outside!

Good luck with the move!

I've never thought of that. Wallis has allways had a thick, curly, luxurious coat. Tibby has a rather thin coat. I assumed it was in the breeding since Wallis sheds but has never really "blown coat" since she's been in FL.

It will be interesting to see what happens on that one. :D How much is breeding, how much is Mother Nature.

Hi Lisacj100, I come from Ballarat. So I cant help you on the snow front but I am sure you baby will be fine over there. It would be soooooo nice to see snow right now with the way our weather has been lately. Good luck with it all anyway.

Hi....Lucy will love the snow. Scout loves it . She sticks her face in it and runs around. Please don't leave Lucy behind it would be a tragedy.

Back