• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

sorry folks!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't mean to terrify anyone but in process of setting up the NEW board, I changed the database password I thought just for the new db but turned out I changed it for them all. :lol: That meant suddenly Cavaliertalk was down for a bit a short while ago.

Anyway I realised pretty quickly what the problem probably was (believe me I am proud of this -- it has been a steep learning curve over the past two years to feel this comfortable with digging round in code files given that I am not a programmer and barely knew any html even back then) and it is back up.

The GREAT information is: I have the new board up in its basic form and am so excited about this! Today and tomorrow I will work on the design, which will stay relatively close to this board as I like the colours and simplicity of design. And also I will practice (as they advise) doing some database transfers of a backup of the board so that this board will continue, business as usual. If as I hope those work smoothly -- then we will be ready to go! I will aim to do the transfer very quickly so that most will not even notice the board has been offline briefly.

More info on what is going on, here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7369

I have a basic design to use for the Cavaliertalk main site as well so this will be my next project.

Thanks for being part of the board as we expand and try some new things.

I think you will all really like this next board -- you can have a personal profile pic, you can have an 'ignore' list so that you don't have to read posts or receive PMs from those that bug you, if there are such folks! (except, sad to tell you, me and the mods!!! We can't be set to 'ignore'... :lol:); you can have buddy lists that you can group PM or auto-PM; your avatar will be autosized; you can follow threads that interest you more easily; you will be able to spot the threads you have posted in... etc etc.

One safety element of the software is to NOT allow html in signatures so while you can type in a url if you want, it won't link automatically to a website as happens now. Likewise you won't be able to have an image of any sort in a signature -- but are free to put any image you'd like in your profile, doesn't have to be of you personally. :) You can have website links in your profile.

There are SOOOO many options that it will take me a while to figure out all the things you'll and I'll be able to do!

I didn't even think to check whether the board was up while I worked on the other board... :sl*p: Only noticed when I went to check in normally. I thought I'd just given a new password to one database but guess it was for the whole lot! :roll: That means going back and editing some files to make it work again and voila.

Karlin said:
it has been a steep learning curve over the past two years to feel this comfortable with digging round in code files given that I am not a programmer and barely knew any html even back then

I know what you mean! I had to get rid of a virus even Norton couldn't do it's magic on today. I don't rate the Norton 2007

WOW this is so excting Karlin - thank you for all your hard work, it's very much appreciate :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

It's been a very steep learning curve for you...but SO worth it!!

I feel sure that all will turn out well in the end. But I know about those learning curves - the older I get the steeper they seem to be!!

Can I tell you one revision I personally would like to see? I wish the "Introduction" for newbies was placed closer to the top. I seem to get hung up in the Dog and Bone or General Info and forget to scroll down and greet people. Or maybe I should just work on my memory curve for that! (It's that mental-pause thing!)

Crittercall said:
But I know about those learning curves - the older I get the steeper they seem to be!!

Tell me about it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just got to grips with all this lot and now there's MORE to learn! :sl*p:

Well Done Karlin, we know how hard you work on here. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Alison.

Karlin--You are ambitious!
Sounds like a great new board! Lots of nice options!
Good for you ;)
I admire your tech abilities!

Nancy

Sure, the intros can go higher up. There are literally so many changeable things that I am only working on appearance and colours etc at the moment, then need to move the old board with existing forums and posts, then after that, I can reorganise the forums themselves. :)

:D Well done you :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Just an idea icon_whistling is there a chance that you could put up a link as to how people can make a donation to Cavalier Rescue???

An aside; what do you think of the new Windows Vista? is it worth investing in???

:flwr: :flwr:

I think if you have a computer that can run it, get Vista. Better security and some cool features. Only about 15% of computers already in homes are powerful enough to run it though; so for most people, they'll get Vista when they buy their next PC or laptop.

I will put up a donation button; that has been a plan. :lol:

Thanks for considering the re-arrangement - and the donation site. I've wondered about that.

We have a copy of Vista but haven't installed it yet. I had thought about asking on the Bone and Pub if anybody here is using it yet. I've mentioned that we might want to put it on my laptop first, since I have nothing stored on there (I use it for writing then always move that stuff to a disc). May be a project for tomorrow.

But then we get back to the learning curve of learning how to use the new program! I think the older I get the more I don't like change.

I've done loads of clean installs and reinstalls of various versions of Windows and it generally isn't very hard -- just make sure you read it all in advance and then take it slowly. Oh and back up everything first of course!

Computers are frustratingly logical. I am working on the new board and could not get rid of the outside border's blue colour. It is a very think line so I began to think it was my eyesight from looking too long at the screen, not actually a blue line I thought I'd set up as black! It took me ages to realise there was a little bit of code that actually had the colour written in and I had to change that, not just change the colpours on the drop down menus. :sl*p: But then at the same time I felt good that it really WAS blue and it wasn't my eyesight! :lol: And that I'd figured out the problem and of course it was perfectly logical.

I have found an add-on that goes with this new board that allows expanded profiles so think I might try adding that on to see if it will work. Also we have a calendar function so people can upload playdates, shows, walks, etc that they want to highlight -- basically anything cavalier related. Plus it will show birthdays if you want to put yours in your profile (there IS an option not to put the year! :lol:

All of these changes sound so exciting! Love the input from everyone...donations, move intros up, expanded intros, calendar. Love it and can't wait.

Karlin, you go girl! I'm so excited about the board upgrade, can't wait to see it go live!

Everyone is going to love this new forum software, it's so fun and feature-rich.

can't wait to try everything out. congratulations on mastering that curve (y)

will there be any new smilies?

(not to be greedy) icon_whistling

Ok we should be moving to the new board in the coming days if the practice transfers work well. I am on my own work deadlines at the moment so ust haven't had the time to try to move it.

But I do have the new profiles system installed which is really nice -- though need to mke sure this will work smoothly.

:w*w: Wow Karlin!!! Sounds very exciting.

:rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:
Thanks for everything you do for us!! :thnku:

Back