• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shedding!

Erika

:shock: Murray is shedding now! I wouldn't think they would shed in the winter. But we have dog hair everywhere!

Any advice on the shedding? I am trying to brush him every couple days or so. Is there anything I should be doing to help control the shedding better? Any kind of brushes seem to work better than others?

Yesterday my son and I were making cupcakes and as I was stirring the batter I noticed a ruby colored hair mixed in. :yuk:

Is this typically a time when they shed? Any advice?

I find that a slicker brush (used gently) removes lots of loose hair. And vacuuming often... :v*cuum:

Your heating could be making him shed. Hairs in all sorts of places are the mark of a doggie home.

I think someone on my local Freecycle site may have a dog, too. They are giving away a set of interior doors, which are in good condition except for some scartch marks and nibbled edges. I suppose they could have a violent toddler ? :lol:

Something like a stripping knife will help to remove the dead coat - we use the Mars Coat King, a bit expensive to buy but they last forever!!

It's the Coat King - Stripping Rake - 20 blades Ex. fine (Ref. 2449)

There's an image here

http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Coat_Kings.html

They look vicious but actually if you pull it across your arm it doesn't hurt at all. They only take out the dead hair - the first time you use it you will be amazed!! When they are moulting, I use it a couple of times a week - normally just every couple of weeks or so.

I would brush every day as a matter of course anyway - it's easier to keep the coat in good condition that way. I use a slicker with soft tips, a comb with rotating teeth to remove any knots, and finish off with a Mason Pearson natural bristle brush.

I am so used to tumbleweeds of dog hair it's pathetic! I tried to brush Wallis' ears the other night and she couldn't wait to get away from me. So I just continue to pick up the wads of hair and go about my business. (Having all hardwood or tile makes it a bit easier to wrangle tumbleweeds than carpet would!)

We use a Furminator on Bella and it helps cut down the shedding considerably.

With 2 cats as well we need a Dyson Animal to finish off! :v*cuum:

How is the coat king different than the Furminator?

I just bought a furminiator after reading such great reviews on this site ...

Lucky is almost 8 months old now and definitely getting some real spaniel hair!!!

Lani, Murray is about 7 months old now, so our little rubies are about the same age! Do you think it is his adult coat coming in? I may look into some of the brushes/products you are talking about to help. We had Yorkies before our Cavalier, so we are not used to shedding. I am interested in the Furminator, I've heard some good things about it.

I have what we call a matt comb and is called a de-matting rake on the website. One of the things I like most about mine is that I was able to turn all the blades around so that works well for a lefty!

I use a shedding blade on these two (it's u-shaped looking thing, I got it at Target) and save your $$ and get a dyson!!! The shedding drives me nuts! It is everywhere!!! Gross. I'm so worried when I make something for someone that they are going to pull a big dog hair out of it!!

I've been using a slicker brush and yeah, the vaccuming often as well. :v*cuum:

Nicki said:
It's the Coat King - Stripping Rake - 20 blades Ex. fine (Ref. 2449)

Hey Nicki, I have been considering getting one of the Mars Coat Kings, but wasn't sure if it was okay to use on a Cav coat. Does it actually cut any of the hair, or does it just pull out the loose ones?

Back