• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

People that give up their pets.....

My Wesley

Here's what I'm wondering, in the works with my previous post...

Obviously when people send their Cavalier's to rescue or they end up in rescue, they don't get any money....

Now for people who are trying to "rehome" their own Cav.... how much do they really get? I've only seen people ask around $200 for ANY dog for a rehoming fee. And wouldn't you hate to be that person that paid too much for a dog, then realize it was a bad decision and now need to give it up? I feel bad, because some people just don't know what they are getting into. And this is in the instance like I'm working with, where someone bought one from a petstore, not a breeder.

And....if you get maybe a retired show Cav from a good breeder, do they have you pay for them?

When I had adopted/rescued a Rhodesian Ridgeback, she was essentially returned to the breeder (of course in the contract) by a family that couldn't keep her. She was 2 1/2. (I was actually going to buy a puppy from her, but the last one was gone already). The breeder homed her to us for free, as she said that she doesn't like to double dip on her pets. Is this the same with most? Unfortunately, she had to go back to the breeder from us because she tried to attack our next door neighbor's dog and she wasn't careful at all around the kids. Plus there was an incident where she either possibly bit my son, or her mouth accidentally came down on his head as she was trying for a toy. Either way, she went back AND we decided a small dog would be better, or at least starting with one as a puppy would be best, so we could train properly.

So, I'm just wondering how all that works. Feel free to PM me with input as well.

Our Sonny came from a breeder who had used him as stud but started to worry that they were getting too many dogs to continue to be good neighbours, so needed to re-house some if they were to continue keeping the "better" dogs for show & breeding.

These people in my opinion are very ethical & caring people. We went along to them to buy a puppy, which we are picking up in a few weeks. After a number of meetings with them, and to see Beau, they asked us how we would feel about taking on an adult dog. They knew that our aim was to eventually have 2 Cavs.

So we acquired Sonny, at no cost to us and on a contract. We are not to use him for stud (which we are not interested in) and in the unlikely event that they would like to use him as stud we must make him available. The deal is that "if it doesn't work out" he would go back to them.

Personally (& I hope I don't offend anyone here) I do not think a dog should be treated as an asset. If someone purchases a dog and it doesn't work out, I feel much better about that person if they place the dog in a good home (or back to the breeder) & without renumeration. Having said that, my second Boxer was purchased (aged 2 years) from a young lady who had decided she could not keep her. I paid $200 AU at the time when they were probably about $400 AU as puppy & from a breeder. In hindsight I think she ripped me off, but I got the better end of the deal anyway, as that little Boxer was the sweetest little girl & gave me years of utter bliss.

Anyway that is just my .02c worth & I hope I haven't spoken too hastily, as it is my first day on the forum.

My Wesley said:
And....if you get maybe a retired show Cav from a good breeder, do they have you pay for them?

quote]

All depends..... ;)

Whitney was only two and through an emergency pio then spay, hence no longer required for any possible breeding, and may I add MRI scanned clear of SM, I did pay a small amount for her....no where near the full Cavalier price for a clear SM scanned Cavalier, in fact a fraction of the price for a normal Cavalier. Her breeder was more interested in the home and quality of her future life than in any money. :) I guess it was a token payment. :flwr: A wonderful, caring breeder. Whitney had also been shown and won herself at Champ level, so was a great loss to her breeder.

Ellis at 6, (Whitneys half sister) again retired from breeding was "Gifted" to me from the same breeder. I offered a token payment and it was refused. Ellis is a young beautiful girl with a lifetime entry to Crufts so there are years of fun and possible showing that I can have with her....that explains the Ringcraft classes that she now does as well as Whitney!!! (family night out)! again she was spayed by the breeder before she came to me and retired from breeding due to a an emergency pio.

The breeder to these two girls had never re-homed a Cavalier before, we were just very lucky to meet her when we did. Very, very lucky. :flwr:

I guess every re-home is different...

Alison. :flwr:

As noted with the other thread, this is not directly breed rescue related especially when the topic has turned to prices paid for acquiring a dog, so am moving both threads to the General section. (y)

I have seen many dogs, especially cavaliers, offered at far more that $200 for rehoming by owners, and that includes here in Ireland, where they are very common.

I feel that if people including rescues, do not charge anything, the new owners will not feel the dog is 'worth' anything. There are many reasons to charge, regardless of whether one is covering direct costs.

The problem most people have with rehoming their adult dog, is that not many people are interested in buying an adult dog when so many dogs are available from shelters and pounds.

Breed rescues routinely charge considerably more than $200 for rehoming a purebred.

Some breeders chargea discounted price for rehoming older dogs or ex breeding dogs. In some (rarer) cases they only charge to cover spay/neuter costs and shipping costs if any.

There really are no rules in this area. But with cavaliers generally one can find in the US, people willing to pay up to around $1000 for a rescue or a dog being rehomed by the owner. A young dog could easily get up close to the original price from some buyers. It is a really a matter for the seller and buyer to agree what they both consider fair.

Incidentally pet shops dogs don't generally come from BYBs but from huge, USDA-certified puppy breeding mills.

When I have homed a dog that I decided not to keep, I asked them to give a donation to rescue. That way they are giving "something" for the dog and cavaliers in need benefit. sandy

The donation suggestion is a great idea, Sandy.

My first rescue I paid a small stipend to rescue for his expenses. A very small portion. My second girl is a rehome from a breeder - I only paid the cost to have Sophie spayed. When the breeder retires one of Sophie's daughters (in a couple years) she will undoubtedly come live with us too. That way my breeder knows her girls are going to a good home.

I've stated before that at this point, I would definitely encourage anyone wanting a cavalier but not wanting to go thru the puppy stage to look into an older dog. Both my rescue and rehome couldn't have been better dogs and I'm glad to have an older girl who enjoys spending her days sitting on the bed!!

Sheri

See, that would be my ultimate goal. I would prefer to have an older dog, that's no longer used for breeding and have them spayed or neutered.

I figure, if I get an older dog, I could do that now as long as it's obviously housebroken.

Or, if I wait another year or so, I'm planning on getting a B/T female puppy.

I'd love to have any older B/T at this point though! :)

A lot of times people use the fee as a deterrant for people looking for freebie dogs. Many times those poor babies end up in some kind of research/ animal testing facility. :x Many rescues charge a fee just to put off unworthy applicants who aren't really serious.

Just my 2 cents on my own feelings here:

I think rescue dogs are fine to charge a fee - there are expenses, it sort of helps with pre-approval of new owners (not someone looking for a free dog). I think breeders who are re-homing are fine, again, they take them back in and incur expenses - breeding is a business. But I dont think any owner should be charging a cent, not one to re-home their own dog. If they hit a time it just isnt working, their focus if nothing else works, is to find the best suitable home - fees in my opinion shouldnt come into play here.

Back